1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

RTV red sealant

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by Gwanger, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

Is there temp you need for proper curing of rtv,I have put my smoker together and I am chomping at bit to close some gaps b4 I can season and start smoking on it. It is 36 deg. in garage.

2. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit

Usually 70ish on the low side....but after the RTV is in place, heat helps it cure faster. I just did a mod. on my smokehouse and upon completion I fired the smokehouse up and ran it to 275*; no smoke. This set the RTV.

Just be sure you are using high temp silicone-not all red is high temp.

3. Lonzinomaker

Lonzinomaker Newbie

Better check the manufacture's website for directions. Most cure is based on (temp)(time). Lower temp means longer cure time. I'm sure that as long as it is above freezing the rtv will cure, just may take longer.

4. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

red, food grade, 650 deg.Thanks for quick reply

5. indaswamp

Here's a thought...
    You could heat the metal where you want to seal using a blow drier. The metal will act as a heat sink. Apply the sealer, then use the blow drier to keep it warm for a little while. Seal all your cracks, then heat the smoker up with no smoke.
    If sealing the ceiling, I would not go above say 175~200* so the sealer will not sag.

6. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

I will try out your advice bc I am tired of waitind for it to get warm enough to apply. I have a heat gun and will use low setting. Apply enough heat till the sealant skins over. Thnx

7. indaswamp

just be sure to preheat the metal first and you should be good...

8. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru Group Lead SMF Premier Member

:D

Silicone will skin over in one hour and fully cure in 24 hours under normal conditions. Allow more time for cold or very dry conditions

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

thanx for all replies to my post.

10. TOMMN8ER

TOMMN8ER Newbie

is it ok to use the red RTV stuff inside the smoke chamber or will it be toxic?

11. TOMMN8ER

TOMMN8ER Newbie

Hi there, newbie here, getting ready to season my dyna-glo. was wanting to know if the red RTV stuff is ok to use inside smoke chamber or would that be bad / toxic?

12. Dazed

Dazed Newbie

765E25BD-975B-4906-BC61-04CB637B82F8.png 7CBB386F-E9FA-4CF0-9B2B-CF80CBA63CFD.png I used this stuff off amazon works great.

13. Dazed

Dazed Newbie

I used between firebox and smoker. No issues with leaks.

14. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

I have dyna-glo smoker, I had to seal where fire box and smoking chamber met, had 1/8' gap all around used the red sealer you have pictured above.I have no more leaks, the red is safe for food as stated on tube. Please read instructs to make sure. you can speed cure w/heat gun

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018