RT 340 Trailblazer mods finally done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pbft

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Vermont
I've posted a couple of intermediate progress reports, but it's finally pretty much where I want it. Smoking chicken parts tonight to celebrate.
Mods:
  • Camp Chef sear box
  • Bottom shelf
  • Folding front work surface
  • Gaskets for top and bottom edge of door
  • Insulating cover (made from carbon fiber welding blanket)
  • Second grate
  • Wheel upgrade
I'd be happy to share details for anyone looking at any of these mods.
rt340front1.jpg
rt340front3.jpg

I did a write-up in an older thread here:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/rec-tec-camp-chef-sear-box-add-on.284211/
Short story:
  • I made a cardboard template of the end of the RT340 and used that to locate the hole that I had to make in the sear box for the grease drain.
  • I lined up that template onto the Sear Box and transferred the Sear Box mounting holes onto it.
  • I used the same template to drill mounting holes in the end of the RT340
  • I bolted them together.
  • I cooked some stuff.
If you make a simple shelf like I did, you have to cut a hole in the shelf so that the propane cylinder sits low enough so that you can reach the shutoff valve.
I really like the sear box. It's not as heavy-duty as the RT340 but it does a great job of gettinng up to temp quickly and searing really well. We also use it sometimes just to quickly grill a burger or a couple veggies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky