root cellar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyfly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Another question, I have a 12'x12' root cellar for my garden vegies. This morning 11/27/20 the temp is 43 degrees with a RH of 41%. If I wrap in brown paper will this work for drying sausages?

might work for the smaller ones, but you may get case hardening on the 2 1/2" dia. casings. 41% humidity is low for drying. The bag method is for stuff that has already been dried by smoking to about 15-20% moisture loss.

Might try making a small batch, say 1-2 links and do a test to see if it works. I would definitely add either a cool mist humidifier or a large tray of water with a towel suspended hanging over the water with the bottom of the towel touching the water.

I would suggest to get this book. Dont waste your time with the Ruhlman book, to many holes in it.

26-1015-2.jpg

I'll second the yellow Marianski book...best read I have seen yet for salami... it filled in a LOT of holes in my understanding on how to make salami safely.
thanks guys I appreciate the advice.

might work for the smaller ones, but you may get case hardening on the 2 1/2" dia. casings. 41% humidity is low for drying. The bag method is for stuff that has already been dried by smoking to about 15-20% moisture loss.

Might try making a small batch, say 1-2 links and do a test to see if it works. I would definitely add either a cool mist humidifier or a large tray of water with a towel suspended hanging over the water with the bottom of the towel touching the water.
Then will finish drying my semi dry sausage?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky