Room dry after fridge dry, before cold smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Going to be doing more cold smoked Albacore tomorrow and just realized I might taking a step I might not need to take. Typically after I rinse off the dry brine, onto the racks goes the fish and then into the fridge for 5+ hours. Typically I would then remove from the fridge for a 2 hour room dry spell before going out to the cold 'smoker.

If I am fridge drying for 5+ hours, why do a room dry? Won't the fridge drying process create the required pellicle allowing the temp of the meat to remain cooler for the final cold smoke step?

Yes, maybe I'm over thinkin' this, but since it is not winter temps outside yet, I need to smoke early in the mornings and yes started to review my typical procedures.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why I've also done it that way. Thanks

I room temp everything before I smoke because of condensation. Not sure if you use nitrite, I doubt on fish, but that and salt are safety enough.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky