rookie smoker looking for advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yoyohomieg5432

Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hi everyone

I recently got a smoker and have been trying to teach myself how to smoke ribs.  I have a masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker i believe it was called and cost around $150.  I have smoked ribs twice now but both times I wasn't completely satisfied.  Both times they seemed drier than I would like and I don't know why they are dry or what I can do to prevent this.  I'm going to list out what I did and hopefully someone can point it out:

1) I marinated them overnight (at least 12 hours)

2) About an hour before smoking i put a rub on it and let it sit at room temp

3) At this time i also began so soak my mesquite chips

4)My smoker has a "flame disk bowl" that i put the chips in and also a water bowl that i put water on

5) I got the smoker going and put the ribs on.

6) The ribs were on the smoker for 4 hours and I kept it very close to 200 degrees the whole time.  Everywhere I've read this seemed to be the recommended temp and time.

7) At about 3 hours i began to brush the sauce onto the ribs

Should I try less time on the smoker?  Or bringing the temp even lower than 200? 

I've never seen someone else smoke ribs before but I don't actually see too much smoke coming from the smoker is this normal or am i doing something wrong?  It seems that I get a decent amount of smoke for the first hour or 2 maybe but then the smoking just kind of stops and I don't know why.  Any advice on this as well?

Thanks

Hi everyone

I recently got a smoker and have been trying to teach myself how to smoke ribs.  I have a masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker i believe it was called and cost around $150.  I have smoked ribs twice now but both times I wasn't completely satisfied.  Both times they seemed drier than I would like and I don't know why they are dry or what I can do to prevent this.  I'm going to list out what I did and hopefully someone can point it out:

1) I marinated them overnight (at least 12 hours)

2) About an hour before smoking i put a rub on it and let it sit at room temp

3) At this time i also began so soak my mesquite chips

4)My smoker has a "flame disk bowl" that i put the chips in and also a water bowl that i put water on

5) I got the smoker going and put the ribs on.

6) The ribs were on the smoker for 4 hours and I kept it very close to 200 degrees the whole time.  Everywhere I've read this seemed to be the recommended temp and time.

7) At about 3 hours i began to brush the sauce onto the ribs

Should I try less time on the smoker?  Or bringing the temp even lower than 200? 

I've never seen someone else smoke ribs before but I don't actually see too much smoke coming from the smoker is this normal or am i doing something wrong?  It seems that I get a decent amount of smoke for the first hour or 2 maybe but then the smoking just kind of stops and I don't know why.  Any advice on this as well?

Thanks
Lot's of great threads for making ribs, but never saw these instructions before.

Try This:

Rub on the night before and wrap in plastic wrap.  Place in fridge

Use the 3-2-1 method as Al suggested

Use Hickory, Apple, Maple or Pecan chips - Mesquite may be a little strong for ribs

I prefer to finish mine on the grill for a few minutes, rather than the last hour unfoiled in the smoker.

Start with the 3-2-1 method

Todd

As many other similar threads repeat, DO NOT TRUST THE THERMOMETER WHICH CAME WITH THE SMOKER!!! I ready like my Maverick Ready Check 732.

Great advice from all the above 
yeahthat.gif

The ribs were on the smoker for 4 hours and I kept it very close to 200 degrees the whole time.  
I'm no expert but, I think this may be where your problem begins.

The 3-2-1 is the way I do it, Plus the temp needs to be 250º Just my 2¢, Hope this helps

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I would suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the

WIKIs.

Then use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/basic-pulled-pork-smoke
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork-by-

soflaquer
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts
http://www.educationbug.org/a/marinate-vs--marinade.html

Hey everyone thanks for all the responses.

I haven't had a chance to check out the links yet but can anyone tell me where i can read about the 3-2-1 method?

Why put them in for 250?  I thought for smoking we wanted a lower temperature?

Someone said don't trust the thermometer given with the smoker.  Any recommendations for a good (but someone cheap) thermometer i can get?

Thanks

You can find some good cheap therms at walmart, just be sure to check them once and a while.  I have a cheap dial i installed in my smoker and a cheap wireless both from walmart.  My dial reads anywhere from 5 to ten degrees less then my digital.  The 3-2-1 method is a great method but for BB ribs it needs to be a 2-2-1 or a modified one.  Some days mine is like a 2-2-1 and some are like1.5-1-1.  Depends on the smoker, weather, and you as a person and what you want.  You will find your groove.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky