• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rookie mistake

m.m.

Joined May 23, 2007
Memorial day I smoked a brisket (flat) & my first fatty.

I thought there was not as much smoke as normal but since I just got my current smoker at the end of last summer I didn't think much about it & everything tasted OK but not great.

Today as I was getting things ready to smoke tomorrow I realized that I just put the hickory chips on the charcoal instead of using a foil pouch; DOH.

Tomorrow should be much better; I'm doing another brisket flat & a fatty but this time I'll be putting cream cheese in the fatty.

linescum

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2006
i always put my splits/chunks right on the coals with no ill effects it's all in personal preference

m.m.

Joined May 23, 2007
I've got a vertical Brinkman. I soaked 2 cups of chips & then put them directly on the coals. I think they last longer/smoke more inside the foil.

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 5, 2007
I wouldn't call it a mistake. Its done all the time. Plus if it woks for you, keep doing it. I haven't used a foil pouch for a while, and haven't needed to. Its just a matter of preference really.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
M.M. -

You don't ned the pouch for the vertical it's okay. It needed mostly for the grill smokers but it work in anything except maybe a big log burner. Don't kick yourself you didn't really do anything wrong.

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Chips do last longer in foil and I only use chips when I can't get chunks!

beertender

Joined May 29, 2007
I use sticks on the Bandera and chips in a packet on the small (very small..Marlboro Miles Grill) and they work great on it. Just let the chips gets smoking (dry chips) then throw on a couple steaks. I've learned this is where gas grills come in handy. 2 steaks, foil pack, quick lite and I'm good. But smoking is a whole different animal. All sticks and lump.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.