Rookie mistake

Discussion in 'Beef' started by m.m., Jun 2, 2007.

1. m.m.

m.m. Newbie

Memorial day I smoked a brisket (flat) & my first fatty.

I thought there was not as much smoke as normal but since I just got my current smoker at the end of last summer I didn't think much about it & everything tasted OK but not great.

Today as I was getting things ready to smoke tomorrow I realized that I just put the hickory chips on the charcoal instead of using a foil pouch; DOH.

Tomorrow should be much better; I'm doing another brisket flat & a fatty but this time I'll be putting cream cheese in the fatty.

2. linescum

linescum Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

i always put my splits/chunks right on the coals with no ill effects it's all in personal preference

3. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What kind of smoker are you using friend? [​IMG]

4. moltenone

moltenone Smoking Fanatic

did you soak your chunks and chips first?

Mark

5. m.m.

m.m. Newbie

I've got a vertical Brinkman. I soaked 2 cups of chips & then put them directly on the coals. I think they last longer/smoke more inside the foil.

6. I wouldn't call it a mistake. Its done all the time. Plus if it woks for you, keep doing it. I haven't used a foil pouch for a while, and haven't needed to. Its just a matter of preference really.

7. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

M.M. -

You don't ned the pouch for the vertical it's okay. It needed mostly for the grill smokers but it work in anything except maybe a big log burner. Don't kick yourself you didn't really do anything wrong.

8. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Chips do last longer in foil and I only use chips when I can't get chunks!

9. I use sticks on the Bandera and chips in a packet on the small (very small..Marlboro Miles Grill) and they work great on it. Just let the chips gets smoking (dry chips) then throw on a couple steaks. I've learned this is where gas grills come in handy. 2 steaks, foil pack, quick lite and I'm good. But smoking is a whole different animal. All sticks and lump.