Rookie Brisket post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grabber

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 3, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Morning Guys. Question I have is, briskets here in WNY are sold in 15/ 18 lb. pieces. I'd like to try one but can't use a big piece like those. Can they be sliced into 5 lbs.? or less pieces and cooked for a smaller group. Into flats and points? If so, how? I've got good butcher skills, so any help would be much appreciated. Be safe and keep that smoker going. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JLeonard
Cut it in half. I get around 16 pound ones and cut them in half. I prep both and either cook them together or put one in the freezer.

Reactions: JLeonard
Some stores will sell either the flat or point. It is very easy to separate the two. Brisket also freezes well if you have leftovers.

Most leftovers taste better the next day but my friend, said not so with brisket. I'll refer this to the experts. You Guys.

Most leftovers taste better the next day but my friend, said not so with brisket. I'll refer this to the experts. You Guys.
Depends how it's reheated. If you vac seal the leftovers and reheat it in the bag, either in boiling water, or sous vide, like Al said, it comes out fine.

Saw on a Steven Raichlen episode, where he cut up leftover brisket, into steaks. 2 in. thick, marinaded, grilled like steak. Looked good but I trust you Guys. Thanks.

Morning Guys. Question I have is, briskets here in WNY are sold in 15/ 18 lb. pieces. I'd like to try one but can't use a big piece like those. Can they be sliced into 5 lbs.? or less pieces and cooked for a smaller group. Into flats and points? If so, how? I've got good butcher skills, so any help would be much appreciated. Be safe and keep that smoker going. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have whole packer briskets available and yes, you can cut them down. For smaller portions, separate the point and flat and then cut each in half and you'll end up with 4 smaller pieces. You can then vacuum seal each portion individually for later or cook and then vacuum seal in portions that may be what you could eat at one meal. Or you can cook the whole thing and then vacuum seal in portions...

Also remember that the point and flat cook differently. SmokinAl SmokinAl has a good recipe for the flat https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/brisket-flat-my-way.277499/. Many use the point for burnt ends...

Last edited:
I grew up with depression era parents, that's why I'm trying to get the most meals from the largest cut to save $$$ and make the most out of it. All you guys gave me plenty of ways to make it happen.
Much appreciated. Be safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky