Roma tomatoes on sale.. (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
So time for another batch of smoked salsa. Roma tomatoes were on sale for 44 cents a pound for Cinco de Mayo so I picked up about 8 pounds of them and turned them into smoked salsa. This is a good batch for store bought tomatoes. Nothing beats garden fresh but here in MN we are months from those.

The latest victims:
20190505_112809.jpg

Diced up along with some onion and garlic and into the smoker:
20190505_142755.jpg

I do the jalapenos on the side since my wife and 2 little guys don't like the heat. Also a tray of diced onions for some smokey onion dip to be made later this week:
20190505_144516.jpg

All smoked up and ready for the food processor. I did about 3 hours on apple pellets in my amazen tray at 225f:
20190505_174550.jpg

The peppers:
20190505_174600.jpg

Chopped up with some fresh squeezed lime, cilantro and salt. I do a smaller batch on the side with a bit more heat just for me.
20190505_195724.jpg

Thanks for looking. Sometime soon I plan on trying to can some of it to see how it holds up. Might smoke at a lower temp so the veggies don't cook as much since they'll cook during the canning process. Something to think about.

Last edited:
"Sometime soon I plan on trying to can some of it to see how it holds up."

Something tells me that it never lasts long enough to get some into a pint jar! Sounds delicious.

Reactions: DrewJ
I roast my veggies for salsa but never smoked them. Will have to give that a try sometime. Sounds delicious!

Reactions: DrewJ
DrewJ, thanks for the pic's and the step-by-step. Here in S/W MI. we have the same weather problems. Started my bucket garden 2 months ago in the basement and everything you listed I have growing except the onions. Can't wait to try for formula.
Martin

This looks great! I just made some the other day but I have never smoked the veggies first. Hope to give that a try this weekend. If you like heat add in some habanero's. I'd love to get my hand on some ghost or Carolina reapers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky