roll call on brands of pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After months of research, I settled on a Camp Chef Wood Wind. I have had an Oklahoma Joe Highand for about 4 years now and decided that I don't like to baby sit the stick burner as much as it requires. I have done 2 cooks on the Camp Chef and it is like cheating but in a good way as it give me more time to have a cocktail with my missus.

After months of research, I settled on a Camp Chef Wood Wind. I have had an Oklahoma Joe Highand for about 4 years now and decided that I don't like to baby sit the stick burner as much as it requires. I have done 2 cooks on the Camp Chef and it is like cheating but in a good way as it give me more time to have a cocktail with my missus.
I hear that, I have two Oklahoma Joes one regular and one reverse flow fully moded....all done baby sitting 18 hour smokes ordered one of those new rec-tec rt 700's with comp cart...waiting on del. Only problem I just bought the reverse flow got about 4 cooks on it fully moded upgraded tru-temp gauges I have well over 600$ into it and cant unload it for 200$

Reactions: RNMike
I looked at Rec Tec, Pit Boss, Traeger, etc. Ultimately settled on the Traeger Pro 22 simply because I got a military discount and had a bunch of Cabelas points to use.

I've done a few cooks (ok, almost daily since getting it) and I'm happy with it - esp for cooking chicken.

I wanted something I could grill or smoke on that was no fuss. Non pellet, but I also have a Weber grill and a Bradley Digital Smoker (I make sausage, and smoke them in the Bradley because I can hang them).

is the smoke box worth the $$ ???

I really think so. The extra space for warming trays of beans, corn, even rolls is great. I also cook my fish in it. With the rec tec at 225, the top rack of the box runs at 160. I don't like high heat for fish as I think it dries it out. Plus, at 160 it takes 2.5 to 3 hours to hit 145 internal, so more smoke on it. Also I move things in there that I want to keep cooking low but need to turn the grill up.... Like when I want to crisp up the skin on chicken.

I really think so. The extra space for warming trays of beans, corn, even rolls is great. I also cook my fish in it. With the rec tec at 225, the top rack of the box runs at 160. I don't like high heat for fish as I think it dries it out. Plus, at 160 it takes 2.5 to 3 hours to hit 145 internal, so more smoke on it. Also I move things in there that I want to keep cooking low but need to turn the grill up.... Like when I want to crisp up the skin on chicken.
really on the fence.....all good points....but i already ordered my cover however the rt700 isnt shipping till mid may could still regroup...........the struggle is real!!!

really on the fence.....all good points....but i already ordered my cover however the rt700 isnt shipping till mid may could still regroup...........the struggle is real!!!

I know the feeling. I am kicking myself a little for not ordering the comp cart. It would be a cosmetic upgrade, unlike the smoke box.... But it looks cool.....

Reactions: The Bull
I know the feeling. I am kicking myself a little for not ordering the comp cart. It would be a cosmetic upgrade, unlike the smoke box.... But it looks cool.....
Oh that comp cart was a must have for me...just really like the look with it and it was 299$ bundled with the rt700 bull..
As far as the smoker box, I opted out after talking with the guys at rec-tec (honest answers no sales pitch, love it) The large extra shelf was a better fit for me and I added two cooking mats for good measure

Reactions: Rectecin'
Oh that comp cart was a must have for me...just really like the look with it and it was 299$ bundled with the rt700 bull..
As far as the smoker box, I opted out after talking with the guys at rec-tec (honest answers no sales pitch, love it) The large extra shelf was a better fit for me and I added two cooking mats for good measure
oh boy smoker has not shipped yet and my brain is on over load......I just called and had them ship the smoke box with my order......well thats just about everything you can get with the bull....my wife is gonna be so impressed with me :(

Reactions: Rectecin'
Hey folks I am in the market for a pellet smoker. I have been watching videos on several brands and would love your feedback on the following smokers I am considering.

Pitts & Spitts - Maverick 1250 or 2000
Rec Tec Bull
Green Mountain Big Pig

Yoder YS 640
Grilla Silverback

I cook for groups up to 200 at times.

Bought a Pit Boss Austin LX ,doing great so far,time will tell how durable it is

I’ve just ordered a BULL! Been a happy Kamado Joe owner for years.
CBB4906C-7192-47F0-AD57-CAE32FD270D0.jpeg

I just put my 700 Bull together today, and I did the initial burn in. It is amazing! I do have to say, with the standard legs, it’s a bit wobbly. The 700 is a beast of a smoker...it’s heavy and very well made! The bull screams for the comp cart and mine arrives on Tuesday. If you’re on the fence, order the cart. I also ordered the extra shelf. Honestly, I don’t know squat about the smoker box. I’ll research more before I decide to drop that cash.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
The more I use mine the more I love it,been using as a grill for quick cooks after working a lot of ot hrs,set it on 350 and throw a couple steaks on it while I prep some veggies slide cover over and flame kiss them

Recently got my new Louisiana Grill LG900 and am really enjoying it.
Turned out some good tucker to..

Attachments

• 20181128_170358.jpg
    20181128_170358.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181207_194925.jpg
    20181207_194925.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181207_201551.jpg
    20181207_201551.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181202_165638.jpg
    20181202_165638.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 19
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky