Rocks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lsmoguy

Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
Kansas City
Hello all,

This morning when I was cleaning the firebox out, I noticed a couple of solid items of what looked like rock among the pile of ash in the firebox.  I recently switched brands of lump charcoal, but have never noticed this before.

Has anyone else noticed rocks among their ash when using lump charcoal?

I am assuming that these pieces are part of the chemical reaction of the carbonization of the lump coal.

But, they look a lot like the landscaping rock that I have in the backyard.

BTW, I am attempting my first smoked ground turkey meatloaf.  Wish me luck!

Thanks for the replies!

No, I thought about the bacon weave, but trying to stay healthy (ironically enough with the sides we eat with the meat I smoke), I decided against the bacon weave.  I mixed jalapenos, onion, green pepper, garlic, and the other standard ingredients in with the ground turkey meat.  And, plan to top it with BBQ sauce 1/2 hour before I pull it off the smoker for a little more taste.

I will post pictures when the cook is complete.

Thanks for the PM tips Danny!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky