Rock Fish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RevSmoke

Original poster
Mar 2, 2022
Hi all!

My neighbor was kind to me a couple weeks ago and gave me some fresh ”Rock Fish” (that’s what was written on the package). The only fish I’ve cooked is Salmon, and that was just once on my old gasser smoker. So, how should I cook this thing? I’m open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Cook or smoke? Wife and I catch a bunch of rock cod, but I do not smoke it. Way too dry for my taste buds. Maybe someone else might come up with a smoking recipe that works.

Cook or smoke? Wife and I catch a bunch of rock cod, but I do not smoke it. Way too dry for my taste buds. Maybe someone else might come up with a smoking recipe that works.
I was thinking smoke, but I’m open to just a regular cook too. How do you normally cook it?

I skilletize our rockfish. There are tons of rockfish recipes online. Look up Rock Cod Piccata.

Always fried here, ours are fresh water and not sure if the taste texture is different on the salt water raised . be good eating either way, we cut out the red .

Rockfish - as in Pacific northwest Rockfish?

Broiled filets with a few dabs of butter and a pinch of salt & pepper. Ate tons of them they are very good.

Around me, people call striped bass, rockfish. We have both the freshwater and saltwater fish, but they are the same exact species and I can't really tell the difference in taste between the two.

We like fried fish, but pan seared with only salt and pepper in EVOO and then a squeeze of fresh lemon juice is probably my wife's favorite. I'll also blacken it and make fish tacos.

There are other fish called rockfish or rock fish...

I fished the Pacific coast from Monterey to Bodega Bay for 45 years, aside from Dungeness crab rocklers were my favorite thing to pull from the ocean. Breaded fillets, pan fried in a little olive oil and butter, a squirt of lemon, tough to beat! RAY

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Thanks for the input everyone! Sounds like pan fried is the way to go. I’ll report back when I cook it.

And yes, most likely ocean caught from Bodega Bay or thereabouts

I fished the Pacific coast from Monterey to Bodega Bay for 45 years, aside from Dungeness crab rocklers were my favorite thing to pull from the ocean. Breaded fillets, pan fried in a little olive oil and butter, a squirt of lemon, tough to beat! RAY
Yes this! I had a white wine & butter pan seared rock fish (Fresh caught that day) & finished with a fresh lemon squeeze on the Pacific Coast a few months ago...... Its magic that way! Also had them in fried in fish and chips (many times).... very good!

Yes this! I had a white wine & butter pan seared rock fish (Fresh caught that day) & finished with a fresh lemon squeeze on the Pacific Coast a few months ago...... Its magic that way! Also had them in fried in fish and chips (many times).... very good!
I agree with this approach, I used to just pan-fry with butter, then a bit of white wine or lemon juice to finish. Maybe a few capers added to the butter/lemon. It's a really fine fish, nice neighbor you have.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky