Roasted Garlic Pork and Venison Sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang---I was just going to log out, and I found this Thread---Whew, almost missed it !!!
Looks awesome, Joe!!
Wish I had a couple right now!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Very nice sausage Joe. Please explain to me as I'm new to the game regarding sausage. I understand after cold smoking one should bring the product to temp in the SV however, I would have placed the pieces in a sealed bag and then brought to temp. I only say this because I feel if after smoking you place the meat in a bath of water it would dilute or counteract the intensity of the smoking. Is that standard procedure or your method and please don't feel insulted because your effort was outstanding, I only ask as a person interested. thq

Nice looking sausage. Still not into SV though.

Warren

Thanks Warren. It’s been a pretty useful tool in the kitchen arsenal. It’s mostly used nowadays for leftovers, set and forget meals and pastrami.

Nice work Joe . I like a 50 / 50 venison pork mix for sausage . Great color .

Thanks Chop, I usually go 70/30 or 60/40 but the FIL supplied the meat and wanted to go 50/50.

Can’t argue with the results though, it was tasty and reminded me of a good garlicky keilbasa.

Very nice sausage Joe. Please explain to me as I'm new to the game regarding sausage. I understand after cold smoking one should bring the product to temp in the SV however, I would have placed the pieces in a sealed bag and then brought to temp. I only say this because I feel if after smoking you place the meat in a bath of water it would dilute or counteract the intensity of the smoking. Is that standard procedure or your method and please don't feel insulted because your effort was outstanding, I only ask as a person interested. thq

Good morning Tyrus. The idea behind using the Sous Vide is for poaching via the hot water method. This allows you to control the exact temperature of the water (I set mine at 153F), without fear of overcooking the sausage by using a turkey roaster or hot water on the stove where you continuously have to monitor the water temperature.

The idea behind poaching in the hot water is it ensures all the sausage is cooked evenly. It also cuts down the time considerably since it takes a lot less time to reach your desired IT. And I feel with the sausage being in the smoker for 5-6 hours is plenty of smoke.

After resting, I feel the sausage still has a pronounced smoke flavor, even after being poached in the hot water. You could portion and vacuum seal and then finish in the SV if you want and then chill and store, the only downside is you don’t get to bloom the sausages...unless you open the bags again, but that defeats the purpose of sealing them in the first place.

I tried putting them in gallon bags at first but that was more of a pain in the ass and more cumbersome than it was worth.

Check this thread out:

Reactions: Tyrus
Damn Joe the sausage looks amazing. Should almost be illegal you posting your meat up here like this and having all these guys comment on it!

• Haha
Reactions: xray
Thanks for the reply. Well, that makes sense now, seeing you smoked for 5-6 hours. Ok you can do it both ways. Setting the sous vide for 153 and the meat doesn't ride past the mark however letting it soak to long isn't a good I imagine. Looks like a cook down the road as soon as I can acquire the necessary tools. Thanks again and enjoy your work

Reactions: xray
Dang---I was just going to log out, and I found this Thread---Whew, almost missed it !!!
Looks awesome, Joe!!
Wish I had a couple right now!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
oh yeah Joe, that stuff looks great. going to have to make me some of that.
Damn Joe the sausage looks amazing. Should almost be illegal you posting your meat up here like this and having all these guys comment on it!
I am hungry now! Fantastic!

Thank you guys!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky