Roast Pork sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Bought a whole loin the other day , because the price was good . Cut it into 4 sections about 3 lbs. each . Put one in Pop's brine with maple extract .
Two sections to be determind , and used one for a " Philly style " pork sandwich .
Made an injection of unsalted Veg stock , Minor's garlic base and stick butter .
Injected and tied to even out the shape .
20220525_104830.jpg
Had the kettle coming up to temp and used the spinner .
Seasoned the outside with Canadian steak seasoning .
20220525_105302.jpg
Put the lid on and let it spin . Came back in an hour or so for a peak .
Getting there . Had some apple chunks just touching the coals .
Didn't want a lot of smoke on this .
20220525_115708.jpg
Another 30 minutes or so she temped at 150 .
20220525_115714.jpg
Pulled and resting in the house . I rest these with the spit inserted .
Keeps the juice from running out .
20220525_120026.jpg
When it's cool enough to handle , I pull the spit and slice it up .
20220525_132140.jpg
Even at 150 plus carry over , it's tender and juicy .
20220525_133322.jpg

I mixed up a jus of Veg stock , Minor's Garlic base , Powdered beef base ,
stick butter and some Thyme . In a pot on the stove top .
20220525_133854.jpg
Add the slices and put the lid on . Set the burner as low as it will go .
No boil , just enough heat to break down the slices .
20220525_134033.jpg
In another pot , saute some spinach and garlic in butter . This pot was full , but it cooks down .
20220525_182023.jpg
After several hours in the pot , the pork falls apart .
20220525_175244.jpg
Use some crusty bread . Provolone cheese on the bottom of the bread .
Keeps it from getting soggy . You could also use Mayo or anything you like that's oil based .
Add some pork .
20220525_183454.jpg
Then some spinach .
20220525_183553.jpg
Spoon on some of the Jus , the roll up in foil as tight as you can get it .
20220525_184717.jpg
In to a low oven for 15 minutes or so .
Slice across before you unwrap . This helps to keep the shape and stay together .
20220525_185045.jpg
20220525_185051.jpg
This came out pretty good . The pork is extremely tender and full of flavor from
the Jus . The bread is soft and soaked with the juice , but didn't fall apart .
I can't ever find broccoli rabe , so I use the spinach . It adds to it , but could be
left out .
Thanks for lookin

Fantastic piece of work Rich! Love the spinach and cheese on the sanny then warming the whole thing up in the oven, that's a keeper! RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Man that looks delicious Rich. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow, that looks excellent. Tough to beat a pork roast sammie. .
Thanks bud . Appreciate the comment . I like a cold pork sandwich too . Mayo and black pepper .
Heck yeah rich! Looks delicious. Nice work bud
Jake , it hit the spot . That was an all day affair , but I like that . Was nice to get the kettle fired up and I love that spinner . Thanks for lookin .
i haven't been able to find broccoli rabe for a while also
legit looking fries too
Fries were frozen Rally's seasoned cooked in the air fryer .
They are good .

Savory swine sandwich!
Love the fries too, we get Checkers frozen fries here (same as Rally's). It's odd how they split the franchises name, in Maryland they're Rally's but here they're Checkers....

Damn Rich that looks amazing man! I can just imagine how full of flavor it was soaking in that jus. Hard to beat it with some good ole fries too. Whole plate is on point.

It's odd how they split the franchises name, in Maryland they're Rally's but here they're Checkers....

Same here. We have Hardee's here but I think it is Carl's Jr other parts of the country. They shut down all our Checkers.

Oh man Rich I want do this BAD! LOOKS KILLER!!! I can tell you researched (cheese on the bottom). Making me rethink mine. I planned to SV... I bet the roast flavor come through well.

Savory swine sandwich!
Lol . Thanks . That's the new name . Love that spinner .
we get Checkers frozen fries here (same as Rally's).
They closed them here , but when they were open they had both names on the sign . I think both names on the bag of fries too .
Damn Rich that looks amazing man! I can just imagine how full of flavor it was soaking in that jus. Hard to beat it with some good ole fries too. Whole plate is on point.
Thanks John . That was a 4 hour soak at least . I thickened it up at the end with some potato starch . My Son got a cup of the Jus and dipped his fries .
The whole thing would be great stacked up open faced .

We have Hardee's here but I think it is Carl's Jr other parts of the country. They shut down all our Checkers.
Same withe the Hardee's here . Had Carl Jr. on the sign too .

Looks delicious Rich! Hold my spinach, but the sandwich with au jus and fries...heck ya!

Ryan

I want do this BAD! LOOKS KILLER!!
Thanks Sam . Right up your alley .
I can tell you researched (cheese on the bottom). Making me rethink mine. I planned to SV... I bet the roast flavor come through well.
The roasted flavor adds to it for sure . Cheese on the bottom or something oil based will repel the moisture .

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky