Roast Beef Sammies with Beefy Onion Dip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Roast Beef Sammies with Beefy Onion Dip

The only Dips I ever tried before were from the Juices leftover from making a large Beef Cut.
I also Tried that “Johnny’s French Dip” store bought one time, and didn’t like it—Too Salty!!
So since I had a bunch of packets of “Lipton’s Beefy Onion Soup & Dip Mix” for my Beef Roasts, I figured I’d give that a try. It worked Great, and real easy to do.
I put some Horseradish Sauce on a couple small Steak Rolls, and a few slices of Homemade Thin sliced Beef.
Then I put some Dip in a heavy Soup bowl for dipping. It was Awesome!!
Then the next night, I prepared some rolls with Horseradish Sauce. I wasn’t hungry enough for 2, and I knew one wasn’t going to be enough, so I put the Sauce on 3 Halves of rolls.
Then I stacked some Beef on the Half Rolls, and some American Cheese too.
Then I sliced them all into narrow strips, so I could cut them into short Bite-size pieces to Dip with a Fork, so I could avoid the “Au Jus Dripping from my Elbow & Chin Problem”.
These were Great Too!!!

Thanks for Looking,

Bear

Never tried this as "Au Jus" before---Good Stuff!
IMG_7154.jpeg

2 or 3 cups of Water with Mix, Bring to Boil & Simmer:
IMG_7155.jpeg

Horseradish Sauce on Rolls First:
IMG_7156.jpeg

Then a Few Thin Slices of SV'd Beef, with a Bowl of Au Jus for Bear's first Supper:
IMG_7157.jpeg

Next night 3 "Half-Rolls" covered with Horseradish Sauce:
IMG_7158.jpeg

Few slices of Beef & some American Cheese:
IMG_7159.jpeg

Sliced in 1" strips for Dipping with Fork:
IMG_7160.jpeg

Strips ready to cut into pieces & dipped in Bowl of Au Jus with a Fork:
IMG_7161.jpeg

Looks great to me Bear! And I agree. I bought some packs of the Johnny's french dip mix. And while it tasted ok. It was too salty for me. What I ended up doing was mix it into a can of reduced salt beef broth. Then it was good.

Looks great John. Simple and delicious is the way to go! Gotta see if I can get that Lipton mix here. We've used the Kroger brand Au Jus mix in the past and it was a little too salty too. Great job.

Hey Mike. If you can't find it. Then get the regular onion soup mix they carry. And add a tsp of powder beef bullion to it.

Reactions: MJB05615
Hey Mike. If you can't find it. Then get the regular onion soup mix they carry. And add a tsp of powder beef bullion to it.
OK great, sounds easy enough. I know I can get the regular Lipton mix all day long. Thanks Steve.

Reactions: Steve H
Looks fantastic!

This is what I use.. it says 300 mg Sodium.. I wonder how that compares to the others mentioned?

20210622_140208.jpg

20210622_140223.jpg

looks easy and tasty Bear!

Thank You Jim!!
And for the Like.

Bear

Looks great to me Bear! And I agree. I bought some packs of the Johnny's french dip mix. And while it tasted ok. It was too salty for me. What I ended up doing was mix it into a can of reduced salt beef broth. Then it was good.

Thank You Steve!!
On things like Dip, I don't worry as much about what's on the package, because I only Dip my Sammies, and I don't drink the leftover Juice.
However that "Johnny's" stuff Tastes way too salty too.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great John! How is the salty level of the onion soup mix?

Thank You John!!
It has 640mg per 1 TBS of the Mix Powder. That's why I only dip my Sammies in it, and there's no way I'd drink what's left in the bowl.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great John. Simple and delicious is the way to go! Gotta see if I can get that Lipton mix here. We've used the Kroger brand Au Jus mix in the past and it was a little too salty too. Great job.

Thank You Mike!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: kilo charlie
Yup , that makes a great dip for a beef sandwich . I like to reduce it by half . Comes out just right .
Got to get some beef out of the freezer now .

Reactions: MJB05615
Yup , that makes a great dip for a beef sandwich . I like to reduce it by half . Comes out just right .
Got to get some beef out of the freezer now .

I didn't put this in my post, because I forgot, but I "Think" I used 3 cups of water with the pack of Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup Mix.

Bear

3 cups gives you less volume to start , but reducing it intensifies the flavor and thickens it a bit . Either way is a good way .

3 cups gives you less volume to start , but reducing it intensifies the flavor and thickens it a bit . Either way is a good way .

Yup, I tried to reduce it enough for good flavor, without making the Sodium % too high.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky