Roast beef cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great, Adam---Mighty Tasty!!!

I like to slice it thinner with the auto-slicer. Then I end up thawing the vac packs in the fridge, and either make cold Sammies (with Horse Radish & MW) with it, or warm it in some Au Jus for French Dip Sammies.

You got some gooood eaten' there!!

Bear

Oh, that looks good. I can just see it thin sliced, stacked on a roll. Great job, Adam.

Disco

Thanks Bear.  I will use the slicer tomorrow.

I just sliced a bit for the pictures.

I can handle the mayo but not horse radish.

I see this in my lunch all week.

Gosh that looks good Adam! LOL.. I just thought of something... its like Forest Gumps says, "You never know what ya gonna get".

Looks like you got a winner.
LOL Foam, I have more of these rolled rumps in the freezer too.

Thanks JC. The ribs were good but the star of the cook was the beef.

Thanks. I will be making ALL of my roast beef from now on.

I really like this Humphreys lump too.

Burns clean and no poping.

Good job on the roast C Farmer.

One thing that I am kind of confused about is the hollow portion which shows that it was indeed a rolled roast.  It doesn't look like the any rump roast that I have ever seen.   Here's some pics of rump roasts that I'm used to.

Maybe it's a regional thing ?       Hopefully someone will explain the difference.

Thanks, yea I don't know. All my rolled rumps are like that. They come tied from the butcher.

Thats a really good idea it looks awesome, may be a dumb question but did you cook to well done? Or any type of cure? I love deli sliced meats and never thought of doing them at home.

I cook to a IT of 150 cause I like my meat more well done than most. No cure. Pulled out of freezer, thawed out, rubbed and cooked on my mini at 275.

Good job on the roast C Farmer.

One thing that I am kind of confused about is the hollow portion which shows that it was indeed a rolled roast.  It doesn't look like the any rump roast that I have ever seen.   Here's some pics of rump roasts that I'm used to.

Maybe it's a regional thing ?        Hopefully someone will explain the difference.
Maybe you've been looking at "Rump Roast".

Adam made a "Rolled Rump Roast":

A rolled  rump roast  is very similar to a beef round steak  that has been seasoned with salt and pepper and rolled  into a log shape. The roast  is then tied with kitchen twine to prevent it from unrolling while cooking. The string is typically removed for serving. The roast  is carved from the rear leg of the animal and is commonly best-known as a beef or veal cut. It is recommended that this dish be cooked for a long period over low heat, and adding broth prevents the meat from becoming overly dry and tough as it cooks.

Commonly considered a lower-quality cut, the rolled  rump  roast  attempts to take advantage of its roast  status to make slow-cooking and braising a preferred cooking method. When served as a round steak, this cut of meat can be very tough and difficult to digest. Rolling the meat and tying it creates a thicker piece of meat that is able to successfully endure a slow-roasting method of preparation, which often results in a more tender cut of meat when finished cooking. It is common for the roast  to be browned in a skillet over very high heat before placing the meat into a roasting pan.

Bear

Last edited:

Maybe you've been looking at "Rump Roast".

Adam made a "Rolled Rump Roast":

A rolled  rump roast  is very similar to a beef round steak  that has been seasoned with salt and pepper and rolled  into a log shape. The roast  is then tied with kitchen twine to prevent it from unrolling while cooking. The string is typically removed for serving. The roast  is carved from the rear leg of the animal and is commonly best-known as a beef or veal cut. It is recommended that this dish be cooked for a long period over low heat, and adding broth prevents the meat from becoming overly dry and tough as it cooks.

Commonly considered a lower-quality cut, the rolled  rump  roast  attempts to take advantage of its roast  status to make slow-cooking and braising a preferred cooking method. When served as a round steak, this cut of meat can be very tough and difficult to digest. Rolling the meat and tying it creates a thicker piece of meat that is able to successfully endure a slow-roasting method of preparation, which often results in a more tender cut of meat when finished cooking. It is common for the roast  to be browned in a skillet over very high heat before placing the meat into a roasting pan.

Bear
Thanks for info Bear.  Yeah, I had noticed the "rolled" part.  I mistakenly figured that his butcher just decided to tie a rump roast up with twine to shape it a bit.     From the looks of it, coupled with what you posted, they actually appear to be two different cuts?

Sliced on my hobart slicer.

So thin you can almost see through it.

My last pics of this cook.  Sorry for boring you with more pics.
No boredom here!!!

Those slices are what I was waiting for!! Looks Mighty Fine!! 
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky