Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Ribs for New Years! We had some friends over with same age kids and it had been a while since I’ve done ribs. So it was decided this was a good finger food for New Years, that everyone would enjoy. My wife made a sausage and back eye pea side and walnut strawberry salad.

I’m terrible about tracking exact times, my apologies, but this is roughly how it went.

Trimmed with light dusting of a SPOG with paprika and ancho mixed in.
44693414-2833-4FED-95D2-06C3F7A2D942.jpeg

Then onto the BelFab with hickory splits at 250 to 275 for about 2 hrs.
821BABC2-6483-4EA3-9654-BB52AF607DDE.jpeg

This second photo was an accident when I was fooling around with the camera, but I thought it looked cool so I kept it. You can see the smoke clearly with this filter.
D69D6F43-744A-47C4-8A0E-CA930B43DE6C.jpeg

After about 2 hrs I wrapped them in foil with butter, agave, a bit of brown sugar and a few pinched of ancho.
127F20E8-ACA4-4927-9AE5-D77C3F909922.jpeg

After about another 2 hrs or so I unwrapped them and made a boat out of the foil to baste one with a bit of a cola bbq sauce I made earlier and left them on for about another 15 minutes or so. The other 2 I left dry.

Then onto the cutting board for a rest, sliced up and served with the cola sauce if desired!

71836FEE-1113-4DFE-B947-6426293A147F.jpeg
081C17F6-85D0-4497-B9F1-92933895FC8A.jpeg
4DC911B3-6819-4047-A65E-B53AAF77C0B1.jpeg

They were really good, between 4 adults and 5 kids the ribs didn’t last long. This is the first time I’ve tried wrapping in a while and it got away from me a bit, the ribs got more fall off the bone than what we like. Probably because I let them go longer than I wanted, but it’s always chaos at my house and it’s easy for me to loose track of time. But, it’s not a competition and it was edible so….I’d call it a win🤣

Thank you for your time!
Hope everyone has a blessed New Year!

Looks outragious, i could pound a few of those for sure. Terrific job.
Thank you! They went fast! I appreciate it!
You and I both Jed

Win Win for sure,
stick to the bone , nice bite on the bone or fall off the bone , I just love ribs
And I could stand the chaos if it meant a few of those , very nice Jed

David
🤣 The chaos is the spice of life! Hard to concentrate and track time/temp/etc, but someday I’ll miss it!

I do like a bite more than fall off the bone, but I’m with you, as long as they’re ribs and edible I’m happy🤣
The ribs look great, Jed! When I first saw that picture, I thought they were wrapped, but cool picture...
Haha! Thank you, kind of wired picture, but I thought the smoke was cool. Thank you for the compliment!
your ribs look awesome!!
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment!
Those look great Jed ! Nice work bud .
Thank you Chop!

WOW!! Those are some rockin' ribs Jed. Just gorgeous buddy. Nice to pull off such a great cook in the midst of all the chaos. Well done sir.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks delicious Jed! Ribs are probably my favorite thing to smoke! That other pic was pretty cool!

Ryan

Outstanding work as usual Jed!
Thank you Jake, I’ll trade you for some Jambalaya!
WOW!! Those are some rockin' ribs Jed. Just gorgeous buddy. Nice to pull off such a great cook in the midst of all the chaos. Well done sir.

Robert
Thank you Robert, always appreciated! The chaos never stops here🤣
Looks delicious Jed! Ribs are probably my favorite thing to smoke! That other pic was pretty cool!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan! They are fun to smoke, I think I like going without the wrap, but fun to try something new!
Those look fantastic. No wondered they disappeared. And that’s a great shot with the smoke.
Thank you Sven, that filter is kind of cool. It’s neat because you can’t really see the smoke until the filter is on. Amazing what gets entertaining🤣 I appreciate your time and compliment!

The ribs look fantastic, Jed!
I have let many a meal get away from me, due to adult beverages, I guess I make my own chaos!
I also like the ancho chili powder on the ribs, going to give that a try next rack I smoke!
Nicely done!
Al

Reactions: nicefly and bauchjw
Beautiful ribs Jed! They sure don’t last long at gatherings do they? I’ve had mine get away from where I like them bite off the bone but never got any complaints either way. I’ll bet you didn’t either! Great work.

Those ribs look amazing and I like the "alternative" photo!
Congratulations on the Feature!

The ribs look fantastic, Jed!
I have let many a meal get away from me, due to adult beverages, I guess I make my own chaos!
I also like the ancho chili powder on the ribs, going to give that a try next rack I smoke!
Nicely done!
Al
Thank you Al, I appreciate the compliment! Yes, beers create their own chaos, but with the kids I don’t usually crack one open until things are set. I’d be a mess otherwise!

I really like the ancho powder to augment or replace chili powder. It’s not a dramatic difference, but for me noticeable. I hope you like it!
Beautiful ribs Jed! They sure don’t last long at gatherings do they? I’ve had mine get away from where I like them bite off the bone but never got any complaints either way. I’ll bet you didn’t either! Great work.
Thank you Jeff! It’s easy for them to get away, but you’re right, no complaints! I appreciate your time and compliment!
Those ribs look amazing and I like the "alternative" photo!
Congratulations on the Feature!
Thank you KC! I guess it’s the nerd in me, but I do like that photo🤣 I appreciate the ride, but feel like there were some others here who deserved it more. But, it’s an honor. I appreciate your time and compliment!
Awesome Jed, those ribs look top notch to me!
Thank you Justin, I sure appreciate it! Not the greatest, but nobody complained!
Nice racks.
Congrats on the feature.
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment!

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky