Ribs spritz ACV and brown sugar?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I have some St. Louis cut ribs on now. I wanted to try a spritz on one rack before I foil (*if I foil, may not). I want to do Apple cider vinegar and brown sugar because I don’t have apple juice (and I don’t love the apple juice spritz flavors). Anyone have any ideas on ratios of ACV to brown sugar? And I guess I should heat the vinegar to dissolve the sugar? Thanks. (I rarely do ribs so I don’t have any notes on this bc I don’t often spritz either.)

Here’s one minus the sugar.
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup Worcestershire, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup water
    A deeper flavor and it works great with spare ribs.

Cherry Dr. Pepper, grape juice half and half w/water, or cider vinegar w/dissolved brown sugar are my three go-to's for rib spritz. Low sugar means no burn too, so I always mix water with everything to tone it down. Not really going to necessarily get the flavor of the mixes, just some of the color and all the moisture.

I'm a no spritz guy. I've found I can tailor the flavor I want at the end of a rib smoke by making a quick sauce with simple syrup (50/50 water/sugar, including brown sugar) and spices or rub.. It doesn't burn or soften the meat. Put it on at the same point you'd sauce the ribs.

Reactions: texomakid
I only spritz on rare occasions but when I do I like 100% apple cider/juice. It's sweet, light, and in my opinion needs nothing else added. I also found less is more (I've been guilty of washing all the rub off with spritz!)

For the majority of my rib cooks I just rinse, rub, & cook but spritzing can add a bit of texture difference & slight change in flavor profile. Some claim it helps increase the smoke flavor in pellet grills? Maybe? I get plenty of smoke without so I can't say I've noticed any difference in smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky