Ribs Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I bought a Maverick ET-73 That I should get next week, so the following weekend I am going to smoke some ribs. I have 4 slab (the big wide ones), 2 cryopaked, and 2 boneless. My question is, since I only have the two probes, should I stick one in one of the boneless, and the other in the regular ones?
I haven't decided yet which method I will cook them yet, I need to do some rereading on here.

Your talking about spare ribs. Thats a good therm you have there, but there really is no need to use it when doing ribs as the meat volume is just too small. If I may make a suggestion, do the 3-2-1 method on spares, its a good starting point. Smoker running at 225-240 degrees, 3 hours on the grates with a spritz of apple juice and maybe some rum or whatever you thing will taste good, followed by 2 hours in the foil the 1 hour out of the foil and back on the grates with a few spritz of juice. If you have a nice set of tongs, grab the ribs in the middle when you think they are done. If it bend in a nice upside down U shape, they are ready. If you want fall off the bone tender, the 3-2-1 is a good route to go, if you like a little tug when biting into them, try 3-1.5-1.5.

Also, if you have not, check this thread out, good info on it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=65108&page=3

+1 with Meat Hunter's advice. When I'm doing ribs I use one of the probes to monitor my grate temp, since the OEM thermometers on my smokers are way off.

I have never been able to monitor rib temps. When I got to this forum, I used the 3-2-1 method for spares and the 2-2-1 method for baby backs. I have adjusted according to the type of ribs I purchase but I have never looked back with the timing. With your boneless ribs, whch I call pork shoulder ribs, try the 2-1.5-1 method first, then adust accordingly. You will be just fine without the thermo. Just monitor you temps as Meat Hunter recommended.

So the size doesn't make a difference in haw long to cook? Yes we want smokey fall of the bone ribs (at least the ones that have bones).

No, the size of your ribs should not matter. Just follow the 3-2-1 method for the Spareribs & you should be fine. For the boneless ribs, if you have a compact instant read thermo, then you should monitor your temps every 1.5 hours. Excuse me. I would monitor my temps every 1.5 hours. That way you won't overcook the boneless ones. The internal temp of that pork should be 165°. Spritz your foiled ribs at the "2" of the 3-2-1 method with some apple juice or something like that, then back on the grill. That should help with the "Fall off the bone" outcome you are shooting for. And personally, for me, I would make that 2.5-2.5-1 to make them fall off the bone. Or you could smoke them between 210° & 220° using the 3-2-1 method. I hope this helps.

How do I make sure I get a good bark? I love the burnt ends of most all meat.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky