Ribs question, using cure#1, dry or brine and amounts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Ribs question, using cure#1, dry or brine and amounts amounts

So I have done a couple searches read most of pop's brine, and Bearcarver Bearcarver both of their bacon on a stick posts

I have a couple packages of ribs that I notice should come out of the freezer soon and have my way with them. lol

Never done any wet cure brine, always just dry rub and in the fridge.

I am wondering is there a different way to calculate the amount of cure#1 because of the meat to bone ratio. Or just do as normal
by weight and not worry about the amount of bone in ribs.
I just thought it would come out to salty or heavy on the cure flavor
Thanks in advance

I will pull the ribs out anyway as I know I must do something with them.... don't want them to grow old in the freezer :emoji_upside_down: :emoji_grin:

David

Last edited:
Not sure why you’re curing ribs...

Want to try something different, same idea as doing turkey legs,

Only because I have heard of the bacon on a stick on here from others,
My big question is because of the amount of bone to meat . Should I change how
the amounts of cure#1 that I use because of all the bone weight

David

Want to try something different, same idea as doing turkey legs,

Only because I have heard of the bacon on a stick on here from others,
My big question is because of the amount of bone to meat . Should I change how
the amounts of cure#1 that I use because of all the bone weight

David
In that case I think I’d go with a wet brine like Pop’s.
How long to soak them I have no idea, though...
By the way, congrats on the throw down win!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
In that case I think I’d go with a wet brine like Pop’s.
How long to soak them I have no idea, though...
By the way, congrats on the throw down win!

Thanks for the congrats on the Throwdown,
And i will read Pop's again , maybe he lowers the salt or cure some, because of the bone to meat ratio
Thanks

David

I don’t know, either LOL!
Hopefully someone else will check in.

Ha ha , I don't mind doing the way Pop's and Bear did theirs. Just thought it was a great question
because of the bones

But i'm good with the way it stands as I like salt way too much anyway, but I know I should not

David

Ps I have a question about your sausages you just did . I will ask there , thanks

Ribs question, using cure#1, dry or brine and amounts amounts

So I have done a couple searches read most of pop's brine, and Bearcarver Bearcarver both of their bacon on a stick posts

I have a couple packages of ribs that I notice should come out of the freezer soon and have my way with them. lol

Never done any wet cure brine, always just dry rub and in the fridge.

I am wondering is there a different way to calculate the amount of cure#1 because of the meat to bone ratio. Or just do as normal
by weight and not worry about the amount of bone in ribs.
I just thought it would come out to salty or heavy on the cure flavor
Thanks in advance

I will pull the ribs out anyway as I know I must do something with them.... don't want them to grow old in the freezer :emoji_upside_down: :emoji_grin:

David

Hi Dave, DRKsmoking DRKsmoking
When you're checking my Step by Steps, look a little closer---The answer might be there.
In my Bacon-on-a-Stick Step by Step, I said;
NOTE: Don't worry about curing to center, because the TQ is only being used for the Flavor, and you're only curing it for 48 hours, and then Hot Smoking it at 225°.

So anywhere in the neighborhood of with or without bone is fine, because I only cured for 48 hours, just to get the Great Cured Flavor, without too much salt flavor.

Bear

Hi Dave, DRKsmoking DRKsmoking
When you're checking my Step by Steps, look a little closer---The answer might be there.
In my Bacon-on-a-Stick Step by Step, I said;
NOTE: Don't worry about curing to center, because the TQ is only being used for the Flavor, and you're only curing it for 48 hours, and then Hot Smoking it at 225°.

So anywhere in the neighborhood of with or without bone is fine, because I only cured for 48 hours, just to get the Great Cured Flavor, without too much salt flavor.

Bear

Thanks John, I was actually going to get in touch with you and ask you about this. As I will be doing this in a few days , already pulled out the ribs to thaw.

So because they are only curing for approx 48 hours it really does not mater about the bone to meat ratio.

And in your opinion TQ and Cure#1 are pretty similar or should I use the regular amount of cure I would use for anything else. By weight that is.

Thanks Bear for getting back to me

David

I did those in pop’s brine once. Never saw a reason to revisit. But here is a thought, I did a pork butt the other night with DaveO ham injection with vegetable broth (all my hams are now done this way) but I cut salt to 1.0% and cut cure #1 to half and added sodium erythorbate (which I always do) but then cooked it to pull The same day, maybe sat a couple hours before cooking. Man was that delicious, a pink ring that was continuous, a slight hammy flavor and the veg stock shining through.

Maybe try that with ribs? It’s delicious in pork, generally.

Dry rub, you would definitely need to account for bones. I would cut the cure and salt by half for that.

I'd reach out to ahakohda ahakohda because his bacon on a stick looks outstanding. Here's a link but definitely reach out to him as he was pretty vague in his directions

I did those in pop’s brine once. Never saw a reason to revisit. But here is a thought, I did a pork butt the other night with DaveO ham injection with vegetable broth (all my hams are now done this way) but I cut salt to 1.0% and cut cure #1 to half and added sodium erythorbate (which I always do) but then cooked it to pull The same day, maybe sat a couple hours before cooking. Man was that delicious, a pink ring that was continuous, a slight hammy flavor and the veg stock shining through.

Maybe try that with ribs? It’s delicious in pork, generally.

Dry rub, you would definitely need to account for bones. I would cut the cure and salt by half for that.

Thanks Edge for the info, How much of this do you use or is this in place of half of the cure#1 (added sodium erythorbate (which I always do)

Thanks
David

I'd reach out to ahakohda ahakohda because his bacon on a stick looks outstanding. Here's a link but definitely reach out to him as he was pretty vague in his directions

Thanks Jake ,
I remember this post. And I commented on it back than. I will reach out
to ahakohda ahakohda to see if he can add a little more to his process

David

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks John, I was actually going to get in touch with you and ask you about this. As I will be doing this in a few days , already pulled out the ribs to thaw.

So because they are only curing for approx 48 hours it really does not mater about the bone to meat ratio.

And in your opinion TQ and Cure#1 are pretty similar or should I use the regular amount of cure I would use for anything else. By weight that is.

David

Too many hands spoil the soup:
If you follow my Step by Step, you don't have to worry about cutting back the amount of TQ, to allow for Bones, because you are only curing for 48 hours, to get the Awesome "Cured Flavor". Don't forget---You wouldn't need any cure if you were using 225° Smoking Temp on Plain Smoked Ribs.

I can't help you with Cure #1---That was Pops' job. I used to send people to him for Cure #1, and He used to send them to me for TQ questions.
However no matter which cure you use, if you plan on giving it a full cure, you should try to figure out how much is Bone, unless you're using the equalizing formula.

BTW: Other than My Bacon, the only Smoked food Mrs Bear really likes is My Bacon-on-a-Stick.

Bear
DSC02505-1-1.jpg

in your opinion TQ and Cure#1 are pretty similar
No . Two completely different things .

Too many hands spoil the soup:
If you follow my Step by Step, you don't have to worry about cutting back the amount of TQ, to allow for Bones, because you are only curing for 48 hours, to get the Awesome "Cured Flavor". Don't forget---You wouldn't need any cure if you were using 225° Smoking Temp on Plain Smoked Ribs.
👍

David

I would never say TQ & any other cure are similar.
Other than if I show you how to cure something like Ribs for 48 hours with TQ.
You can do the same thing with Cure #1, but you have to use the proper amounts of Cure #1 to do it, which is much different than the amount of TQ used.

I hate to even discuss the 2 together, because I'm telling you how to do what I did in my Step by Steps with TQ, because I've done it many times & it's always Outstanding, and others are giving you here-say of what others do with Cure #1.
IMHO--Brine curing with either cure will never be as good as Dry Curing with TQ, because it soaks in a mixture of mostly water for over a week.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky