Ribs in the New Rec Tec (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Ok everyone here is my cook Sunday of the ribs I promised to post.

I did a rack of Baby Back and St Louis ribs (have never done St Louis before) and they turned out fantastic. Needless to say I really love this new smoker.

Still using the 100% Pecan Lumber Jack pellets and they are fantastic, can't wait to try the competition blend....

Here are the ribs after marinating them overnight in the fridge wrapped in cling film. I did add more rub after removing the film as they looked in need. :emoji_wink:

I did the Baby Backs in Jeff's Original Rub and the St Louis in Cabela's Pecan and Honey (my go to rub for ribs for many years) after slathering them with yellow mustard.

Here are the Baby Backs:

IMG_20191117_122837550.jpg

And here are the St Louis Ribs:

IMG_20191117_122831671.jpg

Here they are after a couple of hours of smoke @235 degrees:

IMG_20191117_123256898.jpg

IMG_20191117_123249144.jpg

IMG_20191117_123252542.jpg

And here they are after removing the foil - 5 hours in - trying the 3-2-1 method again since they turned out so nice the first time I did it.
IMG_20191117_151952191_MP.jpg

IMG_20191117_151946788_MP.jpg

IMG_20191117_151949571.jpg

And now they have gotten up to an internal temp of 203 degrees and resting so the juices can redistribute, St Louis on the left and Baby Back on the right:

IMG_20191117_183055061.jpg

Here are the St. Louis Ribs
IMG_20191117_183105497.jpg

And here are the Baby backs:

IMG_20191117_183109559_MP.jpg

After they rested I sliced them up:

IMG_20191117_190119532.jpg

IMG_20191117_190110577.jpg

IMG_20191117_190343301.jpg

IMG_20191117_183407232.jpg

As you can see they have a lovely smoke ring and are very juicy....but the St Louis ribs were melt in your mouth good. Hands down the best ribs I have ever smoked. My wife and I agreed that the baby backs were lacking (got them from wally world on sale half price, do not remember the brand but we normally get ours from Safeway the extra meaty Smithfield brand). They were not fall off the bonelike the last ones I did on the Weber but they were actually what a lot of people prefer who are not in the fotb camp. I like them either way....I will definitely be doing some more ribs especially since I just bought 2 more racks from Fry's (Kroger) for $1.99 pound this weekend.

Thanks for lookin'!

John

Last edited:
All looks great!! Sure do have a mice smoke ring. That Jeff’s rub is money for sure. The Cabelas sounds good too. Anymore I totally prefer spareribs whether whole or trimmed down St Louis style. I find them to be far more tender and juicy. Baby back seem to dry out very easily. As a suggestion if you do babybacks again try 2-2-1. That is the typical recommendation for them.

Wow, great looking cook John, your ribs look perfect with a nice smoke ring! I'm heading over to Fry's right now to pick up a couple of those racks of St. Louis ribs, great price and thanks for the heads up. LIKE> RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
All looks great!! Sure do have a mice smoke ring. That Jeff’s rub is money for sure. The Cabelas sounds good too. Anymore I totally prefer spareribs whether whole or trimmed down St Louis style. I find them to be far more tender and juicy. Baby back seem to dry out very easily. As a suggestion if you do babybacks again try 2-2-1. That is the typical recommendation for them.

Thanks jcam222 for the like and comments. I did read about the 2-2-1 thing for baby backs but did the last rib in the Weber and did the 3-2-1 as they were the extra meaty kind and they came out fall of the bone so this rack did not say extra meaty but did look really large so I went with it. They came out tender just the texture of the meat did not seem as good as the extra meaty Smithfield's we normally get.

Nice looking cook. I love St. Louis cut spares. I rarely do BB anymore.

Thanks JC for the like and comments, after this cook I think I will stick with the St Louis for awhile.
I usually spritz the baby backs (but this was doing them in the Weber) the last few hours and I also have never done the 3-2-1 method all these years until the last 2 cooks, and it seems that they stay pretty moist.
Nice cook! Congrats and the Rec Tec inaugural cook! Looks good from here!

Thanks sandyut for the like and the congrats.

Wow, great looking cook John, your ribs look perfect with a nice smoke ring! I'm heading over to Fry's right now to pick up a couple of those racks of St. Louis ribs, great price and thanks for the heads up. LIKE> RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and kind words. Glad to see you found some ribs, waiting!

Wow I could def chow down on some of those. Nice cook John! Smoke ring looks good too!

Thanks for the kind words John, appreciated.

Beautiful!!! Those look awesome! LIKE!!!

Thanks creek bottom for the like and nice comments.

They look great! Nice work!

Thanks woodz for the like and nice comments

Awesome looking ribs, nice job!

Thanks JCAP for kind words

Nice looking ribs. Need to give the SL style a go.

Thanks phathead69 for the nice comments, let us know when you do them ribs, you know we all love pictures....

Reactions: JC in GB
Beautiful, gorgeous, extraordinary, excellent, phenomenal, and a few other words I can't think of right now. Really great looking ribs John!! Didn't take you long to figure out the Rec Tec, that's for sure!! That got a big LIKE from me sir!!

Wow...just wow...
Robert

Beautiful, gorgeous, extraordinary, excellent, phenomenal, and a few other words I can't think of right now. Really great looking ribs John!! Didn't take you long to figure out the Rec Tec, that's for sure!! That got a big LIKE from me sir!!

Wow...just wow...
Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and kind comments brother! :emoji_thumbsup:

Man this grill is so easy to use, there is very litte learning curve.

John

Great job on the ribs. I’ve cooked ribs on my Rec Tec every method possible. I’ve settled on just cooking them to 195 deg IT. No wrap. Seems to turn out good every time. I also burn an Amazen tube smoker during the cook. Your smoke ring is awesome. If you got that on the Rec Tec without supplemental smoke then that’s impressive.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Ok everyone here is my cook Sunday of the ribs I promised to post.

I did a rack of Baby Back and St Louis ribs (have never done St Louis before) and they turned out fantastic. Needless to say I really love this new smoker.

Still using the 100% Pecan Lumber Jack pellets and they are fantastic, can't wait to try the competition blend....

Here are the ribs after marinating them overnight in the fridge wrapped in cling film. I did add more rub after removing the film as they looked in need. :emoji_wink:

I did the Baby Backs in Jeff's Original Rub and the St Louis in Cabela's Pecan and Honey (my go to rub for ribs for many years) after slathering them with yellow mustard.

Here are the Baby Backs:

View attachment 412050

And here are the St Louis Ribs:

View attachment 412051

Here they are after a couple of hours of smoke @235 degrees:

View attachment 412052

View attachment 412053

View attachment 412054

And here they are after removing the foil - 5 hours in - trying the 3-2-1 method again since they turned out so nice the first time I did it.
View attachment 412055

View attachment 412056

View attachment 412057

And now they have gotten up to an internal temp of 203 degrees and resting so the juices can redistribute, St Louis on the left and Baby Back on the right:

View attachment 412058

Here are the St. Louis Ribs
View attachment 412059

And here are the Baby backs:

View attachment 412060

After they rested I sliced them up:

View attachment 412061

View attachment 412062

View attachment 412063

View attachment 412064

As you can see they have a lovely smoke ring and are very juicy....but the St Louis ribs were melt in your mouth good. Hands down the best ribs I have ever smoked. My wife and I agreed that the baby backs were lacking (got them from wally world on sale half price, do not remember the brand but we normally get ours from Safeway the extra meaty Smithfield brand). They were not fall off the bonelike the last ones I did on the Weber but they were actually what a lot of people prefer who are not in the fotb camp. I like them either way....I will definitely be doing some more ribs especially since I just bought 2 more racks from Fry's (Kroger) for $1.99 pound this weekend.

Thanks for lookin'!

John
Very nice job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky