Ribs going in the MES and using the amnps first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texasjason

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Hi all,
Throwing ribs in my MES 30 today and using the amnps for the first time. I've been practicing with it the last few days using all the great information found on this site, following Bear's instructions to a t. Below is a pic of the smoke coming out of the unit-is this what it should look like? Doesn't seem like a lot of smoke but it's definitely smoking.
Thanks!

Hi all,
Throwing ribs in my MES 30 today and using the amnps for the first time. I've been practicing with it the last few days using all the great information found on this site, following Bear's instructions to a t. Below is a pic of the smoke coming out of the unit-is this what it should look like? Doesn't seem like a lot of smoke but it's definitely smoking.
Thanks!
You are going to be smoking for 6 or 7 hours depending upon your procedure, That's plenty of smoke. Looks good.

Leave that door closed, tell the bride you have to tend the smoker and move the ice chest next to the chair next to the smoker. LOL  The fire pit would be better but the smoker will work fine.

Great, thank you for the reply.  As I look at it now, it does appear to be that TBS I keep hearing about. Sweet!

I'll be pulling up a chair and 'working outside' soon!  Ha

Will post some pics later when these things are done.

Will post some pics for sure Buzzard and thanks for the welcome. PS-I'm just a little south of you in Dallas!

Will post some pics for sure Buzzard and thanks for the welcome. PS-I'm just a little south of you in Dallas!

When you get a chance, fill out your profile. When folks can see where you're located, it's easy to share where specials are and also help with problems.

Looking forward to the pics!

Just an idea for the next large rack of ribs.....

Circle up the wagons!!

Keep rollin rollin rollin though those streams are swollen, keep them ribs a rollin, RAWHIDE!  <insert Whip Crack here>
I saw this on tv but have never tried it.  Great space saver idea.  Did you foil or go naked the whole time?

-Kurt

You are going to be smoking for 6 or 7 hours depending upon your procedure, That's plenty of smoke. Looks good.

Leave that door closed, tell the bride you have to tend the smoker and move the ice chest next to the chair next to the smoker. LOL  The fire pit would be better but the smoker will work fine.
Why would putting the ribs in Smoker like that take 6 or 7 hrs? 

Shouldn't that be more like 4 1/2 to 5 hrs?

Depends on the temperature, rib style, how you want them cooked, etc...
I place 4 slabs of Baby Back or St Louis Style in a 4 slab rib rack in a 40" MES BT Smoker on 2nd shelf and smoke @ 230* for 3 hrs and then moisten them and wrap in foil and put back in Smoker for 1 1/2 hrs and they are done to falling off the bone stage. In fact, they will fall off if not careful when you cut them.....Total time is 4 1/2 hrs. + 1/4 hr to foil the ribs.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky