Ribs going in the MES and using the amnps first time

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by texasjason, Feb 6, 2016.

1. texasjason

texasjason Fire Starter

Hi all,
    Throwing ribs in my MES 30 today and using the amnps for the first time. I've been practicing with it the last few days using all the great information found on this site, following Bear's instructions to a t. Below is a pic of the smoke coming out of the unit-is this what it should look like? Doesn't seem like a lot of smoke but it's definitely smoking.
    Thanks!

2. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You are going to be smoking for 6 or 7 hours depending upon your procedure, That's plenty of smoke. Looks good.

Leave that door closed, tell the bride you have to tend the smoker and move the ice chest next to the chair next to the smoker. LOL  The fire pit would be better but the smoker will work fine.

3. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Jason,

Foam has you right on target. Post pics of the finish!

By the way, :welcome1:

4. texasjason

texasjason Fire Starter

Great, thank you for the reply.  As I look at it now, it does appear to be that TBS I keep hearing about. Sweet!

I'll be pulling up a chair and 'working outside' soon!  Ha

Will post some pics later when these things are done.

5. texasjason

texasjason Fire Starter

Will post some pics for sure Buzzard and thanks for the welcome. PS-I'm just a little south of you in Dallas!

6. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When you get a chance, fill out your profile. When folks can see where you're located, it's easy to share where specials are and also help with problems.

Looking forward to the pics!

7. foamheart

Yes sir, the first Texan telling the story never stands a chance..........

8. crankybuzzard

Kind of like a Koonazz or 2 I know! :ROTF

9. texasjason

texasjason Fire Starter

Almost done. Noticing more moisture since I unfoiled the ribs (doing the 2-2-1 method) for what it's worth. Amnps still going strong.

10. crankybuzzard

You'll be very happy with the end result!

Perfect pic too!

11. foamheart

Just an idea for the next large rack of ribs.....

Circle up the wagons!!

Keep rollin rollin rollin though those streams are swollen, keep them ribs a rollin, RAWHIDE!  <insert Whip Crack here>

12. texasjason

texasjason Fire Starter

Love this idea! Will do that next time. Ribs turned out great, we were testing 3 racks all from different stores.
    I'm a no sauce kinda guy. Kids too.

13. foamheart

Well............ ribs good? Great? You going to quit your job and open a BBQ ribs stand in the parking lot? Bride approval?

14. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

I saw this on tv but have never tried it.  Great space saver idea.  Did you foil or go naked the whole time?

-Kurt

15. brickguy221

brickguy221 Smoking Fanatic

Why would putting the ribs in Smoker like that take 6 or 7 hrs? 

Shouldn't that be more like 4 1/2 to 5 hrs?

16. crankybuzzard

I'd say those turned out very nice! You serve the way I do, sauce on the side!

Great work!

17. crankybuzzard

Don't ask Foam about going naked! That thought makes my brain hurt!

18. crankybuzzard

Depends on the temperature, rib style, how you want them cooked, etc...

19. brickguy221

brickguy221 Smoking Fanatic

I place 4 slabs of Baby Back or St Louis Style in a 4 slab rib rack in a 40" MES BT Smoker on 2nd shelf and smoke @ 230* for 3 hrs and then moisten them and wrap in foil and put back in Smoker for 1 1/2 hrs and they are done to falling off the bone stage. In fact, they will fall off if not careful when you cut them.....Total time is 4 1/2 hrs. + 1/4 hr to foil the ribs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  20. texasjason

texasjason Fire Starter