Ribs Glazed 3-2-1 Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Cradle of Cue, NC
I've been out of town for two weeks and couldn't wait to get home to fire up the smoker!  For some of you ol' timers, this is going to just be another rib posting but I thought might help some of us still searching for the answers. 
icon_mrgreen.gif

I've done ribs almost every weekend for about 3 months and I've been struggling each time trying to find just what has been missing.  I've basically used a modified 3-2-1 since the beginning of this journey but I haven't attempted to use a glaze yet.  Well, after much reading and putting together a combination of idea's others have posted I put one together and POW, we're almost there!  These were some of the best tasting I've made to date!

My modification of the 3-2-1 was 3.5 - 1 hr 10 min - 1, with no spritzing.  The ribs had a little toughness to them (which I do like a little tug), but I'm not sure if it was from not spritzing or going 3 1/2 hours in the first phase, overall not spritzing didn't seem to have any negative appearance effect with a chamber temp near a constant 225*.  The primary reason I didn't spritz was because I didn't have time to run to the store for some additional apple juice and needed what I had for the foiling phase.  The wife ask that I go back to the falling off the bone type, although between her and my son we scarffed down these 2 racks in a matter of minutes! lol

I trimmed the ribs St Louis style and I slathered them up with mustard and Jeff's Rib Rub.  Then topped them off with brown sugar and let set on the counter until everything was melted (about 45 minutes).

e35a1827_Ribsprecook5Sep10.jpg

Again, maintained a pretty steady chamber temp of 225* along with some hickory chunks and honey with apple juice in the water pan.  At the 3 1/2 hour mark I pulled the ribs and foiled for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  When I foiled I pulled off about 6 feet of heavy duty foil and folded it in half creating a boat to keep the apple juice in.  After placing a slab in the foil I poured just over a 1/2 cup of apple juice in the foil and wrapped the foil up tight.  Back into the smoker for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

After pulling and unwrapping the foil it was back into the smoker for another hour to firm the ribs back up.  After almost 45 minutes I went ahead and applied my glaze with a brush (think I'm going to buy a mopped) and closed the smoker up for another 15 minutes to fire the glaze.

Glaze Recipe

1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)

1 cup of Jeff's BBQ Sauce Recipe

8 oz of honey  (about 1 cup)

1/4 teaspoon plus a little extra cayenne pepper

Initially I put the butter in the pan to melt, then added the honey.  Once I got that blended/heated nicely I added Jeff's BBQ Sauce  and the cayenne pepper.  Bringing things to a slight boil, whisk, pulled from heat, covered and let set until it was time to heat back up before applying.

When applying the glaze I flipped the ribs over bone side up and covered lightly, flipped them back over and put a nice light coating of the glaze on the meat side and closed the smoker up for about 15 minutes.  Once I pulled the ribs, I placed them in a foil pan and covered tightly with foil to let the ribs rest 1/2 hour before slicing.

The glaze had a slight sweetness but the cayenne pepper and combination of Jeff's BBQ Sauce Recipe  gave it a nice flavor that wasn't hot but complimented the taste nicely.  The wife loved them so they were not spicy hot or she'd have not touched them. lol

Next time I think I'll cut the phase 1 time back to 3 hours, foil for  1 1/2 hours and then an additional 1 hour or until they ribs pass the bend test (lift with tongs from one end and if the meat splits they're done).  (Sorry I broke the LED screen on my camera so I wasn't able to get any good close ups.)

Got up at 4 this morning to get this butt going for some pulled pork later today.  Hope you all have a great Labor Day holiday!

eda0e71a_Ribs5Sep10.jpg

0a600a9c_RibsCut5Sep10.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking ribs, making me hungry!  I have only done ribs once and they came out ok, you got me wanting to do some more.  I will try your glaze method on the next batch,

icon_cool.gif

Those are some mighty fine looking ribs you have there Dean. I might just throw on some myself. 

Thanks everyone!  I can't wait for next weekend in my attempt to find that sweet spot.  

My butt smoke went great today!  I love pp but I've had ribs on my mind all day!  LOL

I did some ribs with your sauce recipe and they came out good, makes a big difference. I used Sweet Baby Rays and I added a TBS of brown sugar. They carmalized nicely. I will be using that glaze from now on!  I also added a couple of butter pats when I foiled them. They came out a little over done, but still juicy, fall off the bone.

Note to anyone thinking of making this glaze, I cut the recipe in 1/2 and it was still plenty for 2 racks of ribs.

Rich, definitely can't go wrong with Sweet Baby Rays!  I should have mentioned the recipe does make a lot.  I refrigerated what I didn't use for the coming weekend.  Something else I've used in the past is the spray butter which is convenient and gives good coverage when your trying to foil quickly.  

Thanks to DeanNC - Mod follows

AMBROSIA RIB GLAZE RECIPE

• 4 Tbs (1/4 cup) margarine

• ½ cup of Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet 'N Spicy BBQ sauce

• 1/2 cup honey (can try 50/50 honey/maple syrup)

• 1 Tbs brown sugar

• 1/8 tsp plus a little extra cayenne pepper

• ½ tsp Magic Dust (search for this recipe- It's a grand rub)

• ½ tsp oregano (pork loves oregano)

• ½ tsp celery seed

• ½ tsp garlic salt
I use the microwave and a Pyrex 2-cup.  Initially melt the butter on a low setting.  Then combine the remaining ingredients listed above.  Reheat the mix to just short of a boil.  Remove and transfer to a container of choice.   Apply just before removing your ribs from the smoker/grill.   Good Eats.

If you like Jalapenos this is a fantastic glaze.
[h3]Sweet and Hot Jalapeno glaze[/h3]The ingredient list for Jalapeno glaze is short...only sugar, vinegar, Jalapenos and salt are needed.
To a saucepan, add 1 cup of white sugar,
1/2 cup of cider vinegar,
1/4 teaspoon of salt,
1/2 cup of Jalapeno slices, cut about 1/8 inch thick.
Over medium heat, bring the ingredients to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the glaze for three minutes. Cover the pan, remove it from the heat, and allow the glaze to cool.

edit: this is not my recipe. I found it somewhere and loved it.

Last edited:
Magers - Thanks for the recipe(s)!  I've added it along with the Magic Dust rub recipes to my book!  I smoked up a few racks yesterday and the wife thought the MD rubbed ribs were to hot but the rest of us really liked them.  The glaze was great on all!  
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

jbg - Thanks for sharing that recipe, I'll have to give it a try soon!

I have never found Magic Dust (MD) to be hot.   Odd.    It is a useful combo.   I even made excellent ground chuck hamburgers with it two days ago.

I use about 1/4 lb ground per patty.   I gently open and spread the meat across a sheet of foil.   I then apply a light dusting of MD, garlic powder and black pepper.

Then, I form the meat into balls and then patties.  I try not to overwork it.   The more coarse it is the better.   I form a 4" round and then poke an index finger size hole in the middle to facilitate grilling evenly and with a bit more speed.   Off to the Weber Gas Grill they go.  

Once they are just about done, I throw the buns on the grill and toast both sides.  Serve with condiments of your choice.

Let me know if you up the Ante on the Glaze.    I start salivating just thinking about those ribs.    I'll do a cider soak starting tomorrow pm and then smoke another rack on Thursday.

MakeEatShare

FYI - The McRib Locator was recalled by the manufacturer due to serious software and hardware issues.  

Try a McSausage or McHaggis search.

"It's your ship."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky