Ribs, chicken, & fatty...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sethmckinney

Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Ribs: going for the 3-2-1 method I've read about. In the wrap I'm going to put apple juice unless anyone has any other advice. Do you let ribs rest? after the one hour or what? Internal temps, smoke temps any tips appreciated.

Chicken: I couldn't find any recipes on here so I read one in my books saying marinate it in Italian dressing.
Any advice on cooking times and internal temps would beb great.

The fatty I read was put it on and flip at 1.5 hours and take off after another 1.5 (at what smoke temp?).

Hope this isn't a bother, but just looking for some good advice.

Thanks.

Hi Seth,

On the ribs, after the last hour (1 of 3-2-1) you are ready to go. The last hour is just to dry out and apply any sauce after the braising (2 of 3-2-1). Just remember the times are just approximate.

On the chicken, how are you doing it? BCC or split pieces or what? There are lots of recipes in the poultry forum, but basicaly just use what you want to make it taste like you want it :D

On the fatty, smoke temp is 225 - 250 and flip about 1.5 hours and it should be good to go in 3 hours. Use any rub or seasonings that you would like and any flavor sausage chub you would like.

Smoking meat is fun because there really are no hard and fast rules except to enjoy yourself and cook slow. :D

I'll be doing a whole chicken. I think those are better. Are there any alternatives I should know about?

You can always stick a beer can up itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s butt…that always works well, chickens seem to respond well to that treatment. Remember a happy chicken is a tasty chicken!

Also a good habit (for me) is to cook by temperature, not time, too many variables in that game. Best to ya!

That's what I've been doing.

So what would the 3-2-1 translate to in temp? Meaning, at what temp would I wrap in foil, take foil off, and take them off the smoker?

Carl can correct me if he likes, but I don't do ribs by temp. Everything else pretty much I do by temp, but ribs are so thin, you have to do them by look and feel and time.... :roll:

what should they feel like? So then the 3-2-1 method applies to what smoking temp?

Seth,
I keep my smoker at about 225* for ribs. To test of doneness, I look at the appearence of the meat, but more so, I look for the meat to start pulling back from the ends of the bones (abour 1/4" or so). If you really want to check the temp, use an instant read thermometer (check it for accuracy first ..... the old boiling water trick). Insert it at several locations along the ribs in the meaty part and look for a temp of about 170*. When you have done it a few times, you will be able to look at them and feel them a little and have a pretty good idea of their doneness. Good Luck!

Seth,

Something you may want to try with chicken is to brine it in a solution of water (enough to cover the chicken), 1 pound of salt (Kosher or coarse), 1 pound of brown sugar, and a container of pickling spice. Boil everything except for the chicken, allow it to cool, place chicken in the mixture then refrigerate over night. Following day smoke, smile and enjoy the good eats

Got a brine recipe.

Paid for Jeff's rib rub -- it better be good ;) I'm going to do it in the 3-2-1 method.

Going in for the kill on Tuesday.

Hi Seth

All the previous advice is good and as you get further into this method of cooking you will understand what it is we are talking about when we say its not about time.

The 3-2-1 method for ribs is most excellent but it is only a guideline, heavy winds, snow, rain all effect the cooking time.You will develop a feel for the technique after doing a half dozen sets of ribs...

As bwsmith_2000 advises; and I totally agree, put your ribs in for three hours with Jeff's great rub and spray or mop (once an hour works for me)at about 3 hours look for the meat to start pulling away from the rib bones and when that starts to happen then wrap them in your foil with your apple juice and back in for two hours.

When they are in the foil they will be steaming rather than smoking and that will be what will make them tender...then takem out of the foil and back in the smoker,

but this is when you really have to pay attention...you want them to firm up but not so long as to make them hard and dry.

In afew times of doing this you will become real comfortable with your final product.

Keep some notes so that you can refer back to what you think you did right and what you think you did wrong and the world will turn and you will get good at this.

Go here for an excellent thread about your chickens with great advice and great pics...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=526

I really miss Bear's dry wit and his expertise

above all have fun while you are doing this...learn and then pass it on

regards,

ranger72 :)

OTBS # 14

The brine I did was poor, however, the ribs turned out EXCELLENT -- thanks guys. I appreciate it. They were excellent ribs. The fatty was nice as well.

Hey Seth,
What do you mean that the brine was poor?? Let us know more ...... mixture, time, product etc. Also, did you serve your ribs dry or sauced..... etc. Did you pat a little rub on the fatty or did you just put the sausage chub in the smoker as it came out of the wrapping? Also, do you have any pictures?

Not y'alls brine -- the brine I got out of a book. Way too salty. I barely could even eat it.

Congrats on the ribs Seth. Sounds like your gonna be ready to tackle another pork butt for pulled pork before long. Keep up the good work!

Seth did you rinse the meat after brining?

There will be a lot of salt on the outside after brining so you should rinse it off under fresh, cold, running water to remove the excess salt, and then pat dry with paper towels before cooking. You can also put chicken back in the fridge after brining (before cooking) to allow the skin to "air dry" for a couple of hours. It's supposed to improve the skin's texture so it can crisp when cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky