Ribs: A Bit on the Dry Side - Why?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It occured to me that you might have had what I had a bit ago. Are you sure the juice isn't leaking out of the ribs when you foil them up? I had that happen last time on a rack. Had to double wrap. <To be fair I'm pretty darn done with foiling all together. it's alot of work and I don't see much benefit>

Lost my juices one time, about 7 years ago.
Ever since that I put them in a foil pan & cover that with foil for Step #2.
Then I just remove the foil for Step #3.
Bones can't poke a hole in the Foil pan like they can through Double wrapped foil.

Bear

Look at the label next time you buy . Alot of the Smithfield products are enhanced . I just looked it up , 4% sodium per serving , which I think is 3 ribs . 95 mg per slab .
What does the salt content mean? Does that tend to make it dry? Do some have no salt? Is none better than some or 4%? Thanks.

It means they are injected with a solution to aid in tenderness . I looked up smithfeild " extra tender spare ribs " Label says 260 mg sodium .

Try the swift ribs from Costco or salmon creek farms from Walmart. I stay away from hormel and Smithfield. The salmon creek are swift are very natural,the other 2 taste look like ham lol. I’m doing a rack now. I never spritz ribs or foil and mine are nice and moist. They look all wet when there cooking last 1/4 of the cook

Look at the label next time you buy . Alot of the Smithfield products are enhanced . I just looked it up , 4% sodium per serving , which I think is 3 ribs . 95 mg per slab .
Thanks for the info Chopsaw. I never even noticed that about the sodium solution. Those packs are really convenient but I may have to try to find another source with less salt.

George

I too would suggest staying away from Smithfield products. I bough some St. Louis ribs from my local super market. Worst ribs I ever made. Baby backs require a lot more finesse than St. Louis which have more fat to render out and baste the meat. You could try spritzing them after 45 mins and then do that every 15-20 mins until your ready to wrap and see if that helps. Me personally I don't mess with baby backs, they cost more and have less meat.

Do you put them meat side down when you wrap them? They're supposed to be bone side down when unwrapped and meat side down when wrapped. I've tried wrapped and unwrapped and the wrapped always seem more moist.

Do you put them meat side down when you wrap them? They're supposed to be bone side down when unwrapped and meat side down when wrapped. I've tried wrapped and unwrapped and the wrapped always seem more moist.
I do them unwrapped bone down and wrapped bone down also. And like I stated earlier, I didn't tightly wrap them in foil, but rather placed them in a foil pan bone down and covered that with foil. There was a lot of juice in the bottom of the pan when I unwrapped them. I'm guessing that is part of the trick - wrap them tightly in the foil only and then cook them for the two hours meat side down - that way the meat cooks in its own juices rather than just loose all its juice. I'm going to try doing my baby-backs that way next time and I think I'll have better luck. I'll also give the St. Louis ribs a try.

I sure appreciate all the info folks have shared. Oh, and I think the baby-back ribs at Costco are the Swift brand, but I'll make sure.

I cook my ribs, bones down for 2 hours, then meat side down for 1 hour. I then lay out a double layer of extra heavy foil and put down honey and brown sugar and lay the ribs meat side down, then coat the bone side with honey and brown sugar and wrap tight. I spray the ribs with my mop using a squirt bottle before laying them in the foil and to the bone side before coating it. I use 2/3 apple juice, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and about 2-4 oz of bourbon (the cheap stuff for mixing). Smoker temp is around 250F. Wrapped I will cook them for about 1.5-2 hours checking at 1.5 hr mark for flex. I then pull them from the foil and firm them up on the gas grill on low- mid low and then sauce them sparingly.

Thanks for the info Chopsaw. I never even noticed that about the sodium solution. Those packs are really convenient but I may have to try to find another source with less salt.

George
George , I was not suggesting not to use them . I was only commenting on what you said above , and pointing out that they might be enhanced ., which helps with tenderness . If they work for you ,,, carry on .

George , I was not suggesting not to use them . I was only commenting on what you said above , and pointing out that they might be enhanced ., which helps with tenderness . If they work for you ,,, carry on .
The results have been very tasty but cutting down salt is never a bad choice. I’ll keep my eyes open for other options.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky