Ribeyes on the griddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I have posted a couple times that I scored standing rib roasts this week on sale. The ribs were already separated when I got them, I kind of wish they were not. I saw Bearcarver Bearcarver post of how he cut them with extra meat, I guess mine will be considered beef back ribs? Anyway, I really wanted to smoke the ribs today but was tied up starting to assemble my 12 x 14 gazebo around the pool.
gazeebo.jpg

Had some company in the yard yesterday...going to have to fence in the garden this year, but I can't wait till they bite into the ghost peppers I am planting this summer.. :emoji_astonished:
deer.jpg

Also had my helper around all weekend (not my cat (neighbors) , but is a love and would live in the house if my cat's would allow).
kitty.jpg

Anyway back to the meat, cut down the roasts into steaks about 1.5" thick. Ended up with 30 steaks and 4 racks of ribs.
1.jpg

I marinated them for a short time in a fresh pineapple, mango juice with a little Yoshidos to tenderize as BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma does. Used a dirt rub on mine and the wife got what I had left of Jeff's Original that I added extra SPOG to fully coat the steak.
2.jpg

As the weather picked up, wind, cold and rain due at some point, I decided to use the griddle with some smoked butter, I really wanted to use the kettle but was not going to happen.
griddle.jpg

Off the griddle, pretty rare, my plate, then the wife's both with mashed cauliflower.
myplate.jpg

bbc plate.jpg

cut shot
cut.jpg

Flavor was incredible, I think the marinade was not necessary as the texture was a little soft. It was probably overkill to use the fresh juice for this cut. The dirt rub is a good beefy flavor but the modified Jeff's was unreal. I will have to buy the recipe (instead of pre-made) and modify it from now on.

They are still on sale this week @5.99/lb for Angus so maybe another 38lbs?????

Perfectly cooked to my liking with a great char, gotta love it! I never shy away from the Weber due to wind or rain, it's got a cover and vents. RAY
Ha, Ha, It was getting late, I was just not feeling like dragging out the kettle from the shed. It was the cheapest (cost wise) of all my cookers but I keep it in the shed and don't want to let it get rained on...lol

Reactions: sawhorseray
Perfect cook! Great looking meal! Thank you for the heads up on the juice marinade, I’ll remember that! Big points!
It has to be fresh pineapple and/or mango juice, not canned. I either freeze fresh chunks and then grate it or use my juicer to extract the juice. It will freeze fine when juiced. Don't let the meat stay too long in the marinade or it will literally turn the meat into mush, maybe an hour or two depending on thickness. These ribeye's did not need this but, tougher cuts really can be transformed by it. I got this idea from BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma and it works great.

Reactions: bauchjw
It has to be fresh pineapple and/or mango juice, not canned. I either freeze fresh chunks and then grate it or use my juicer to extract the juice. It will freeze fine when juiced. Don't let the meat stay too long in the marinade or it will literally turn the meat into mush, maybe an hour or two depending on thickness. These ribeye's did not need this but, tougher cuts really can be transformed by it. I got this idea from BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma and it works great.
Yes, read here about doing the fresh juice. I’ve been thinking about doing the fresh pineapple with chicken this week. I appreciate it! Especially like using the frozen hunk grated. Awesome trick!

Yes, read here about doing the fresh juice. I’ve been thinking about doing the fresh pineapple with chicken this week. I appreciate it! Especially like using the frozen hunk grated. Awesome trick!
Thank BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ...got that from him also LOL, never thought about using it with chicken?? I would think you will really have to watch/play with timing so it does not turn to mush. Let us know how it turns out?

Reactions: bauchjw
Cliff , that looks fantastic . I've been wondering about using the Blackstone for a steak .
Cooked perfect for me too .
Put some fresh pineapple rings on the grill . They're fantastic .

Reactions: clifish
Great looking steak!
Looks like ribeye weekend!
Great looking backyard too!
When you get that gazebo done, post some photo’s!
Al

Loving the yard pics. And I wouldnt mind drinking coffee in the morning and watching the deer. Now those steaks....Pure excellence! Wouldnt turn down either.

Jim

Those are a couple fine looking steaks right there Cliff....and perfectly cooked. Very nicely done. I gotta try that cauliflower mash though. I love cauliflower and keep reading about doing the mash, but have yet to do it. This post might be the one that gets me off the fence.

Robert

Cliff , that looks fantastic . I've been wondering about using the Blackstone for a steak .
Cooked perfect for me too .
Put some fresh pineapple rings on the grill . They're fantastic .
Worked out pretty good, I have been meaning to grill pineapple and watermelon..will have to happen soon.
Great looking steak!
Looks like ribeye weekend!
Great looking backyard too!
When you get that gazebo done, post some photo’s!
Al
Thanks Al, going to be a few more weekends till we get the roof on. That step takes at least 3 adults and this weekend we are going to PA then the next to NC to bring my daughter back from college. I will post up pics of the entire backyard when it is done. Once the pool is opened and the banana plants start coming up around the pond you would think you are on an Island.
Loving the yard pics. And I wouldnt mind drinking coffee in the morning and watching the deer. Now those steaks....Pure excellence! Wouldnt turn down either.

Jim
Thanks Jim, sadly other than the pool and hot tub we don't really use the backyard as much as we should.
Those are a couple fine looking steaks right there Cliff....and perfectly cooked. Very nicely done. I gotta try that cauliflower mash though. I love cauliflower and keep reading about doing the mash, but have yet to do it. This post might be the one that gets me off the fence.

Robert
Thanks Robert, we do the mash pretty often to avoid the carbs in potatoes.

That's a Beautiful Load of Beef, you got there, Cliff!!!
Nice Job!
Nice Neighbor Kitty too!
I'd like to see the deer get to bite into a pepper too.
Like.

Bear

Looks fantastic Cliff. Have only used BS for searing thus far.
Thanks, I use it for burgers, veggies, gyros almost anything.
That's a Beautiful Load of Beef, you got there, Cliff!!!
Nice Job!
Nice Neighbor Kitty too!
I'd like to see the deer get to bite into a pepper too.
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, seems like these were on sale all over the country and we all cut them down to steaks. Love that kitty, too bad my inside cats don't think the same.

With my luck the deer will love them and finish them off, It has only been in the past 2 years that they invaded my yard here.
Great write up!
Your place looks nice. Yea, them deer can be a nuisance, and they can jump pretty darn high too!
Anyways, great job on that cook! Looks good!
Thanks Justin, they are becoming more frequent. I had one last year bolt out of a Lowes parking lot, leap and scraped across my hood and took off towards the highway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky