Ribeye Roast Smoke planning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in ft. collins

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I picked up a ribeye roast for a Saturday smoke. It is a bit over 5 lbs and is boneless.

I plan to smoke it on my Green Mountain Grill burning hickory. I also plan to light up 2 or 3 A-MAZE-N smoke tubes filled with Pecan.

I really want to get it smoked in the GMG and then finish it in the oven. Plan is to smoke it for 3 hours at about 250* and then finish it in the oven.

Thoughts on this plan?

Reactions: chilerelleno
I also trim the fat pretty close, and tie them so they cook evenly. I'm a big fan of 225° pit temp, this way the lip won't overcook and the end pieces will be only slightly more done than the center slices. I always plan on an end sear, but depending on which cooker I use I con't always need the end sear.
SdgRMz3.jpg
This is what I mean about even doneness across the entire slice.
scsvtYw.jpg

Here is a snip from my Prime Rib cooking time database, that might help with the timeline, but use a thermometer so you don't overshoot.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°
5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°
5-3/4 pound roast - 245° average pit temp - 3 hours 45 minutes to reach 127°
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°

Here is my last Prime Rib aka Ribeye Roast.
IMG_20201003_180908656_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20201003_175822764_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20201003_170333458_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Looks Mighty Tasty from here!!!
Looks like you didn't stay at 225° though!!
Got a little Medium on the outside areas.
Like.

Bear

Reactions: steiger33
I also trim the fat pretty close, and tie them so they cook evenly. I'm a big fan of 225° pit temp, this way the lip won't overcook and the end pieces will be only slightly more done than the center slices. I always plan on an end sear, but depending on which cooker I use I con't always need the end sear.
View attachment 467707
This is what I mean about even doneness across the entire slice.
View attachment 467708

Here is a snip from my Prime Rib cooking time database, that might help with the timeline, but use a thermometer so you don't overshoot.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°
5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°
5-3/4 pound roast - 245° average pit temp - 3 hours 45 minutes to reach 127°
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°

I plan on making this recipe for Christmas dinner. https://www.smoking-meat.com/december-11-2014-mesquite-smoked-prime-rib-for-christmas

Jeff notes to make sure it's indirect heat. My smoker is electric and obviously will be direct heat. Any suggestions on cooking modifications? Thanks in advance.

I plan on making this recipe for Christmas dinner. https://www.smoking-meat.com/december-11-2014-mesquite-smoked-prime-rib-for-christmas

Jeff notes to make sure it's indirect heat. My smoker is electric and obviously will be direct heat. Any suggestions on cooking modifications? Thanks in advance.
Unless I'm missing what kind of smoker you have, most electric smokers are considered indirect heat. Direct heat would be under a burner or coals or something like that..... Just put it in at 225 and let it roll!

Edit, also if you smoke it in a pan, put your rack on top of the pan so the roast is at least about 2-3 inches above any liquid in the pan. If it sits in the pan the lower part will/may cook slower than the upper part.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing what kind of smoker you have, most electric smokers are considered indirect heat. Direct heat would be under a burner or coals or something like that..... Just put it in at 225 and let it roll!

Yup----Just stay away from the bottom rack---Could be some direct heat there, which is why I never use the bottom rack! Too close to the Heating Element !

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky