Rib Rub Glue Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trabba

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
SW Ohio
My MIL is coming over for dinner on Saturday and the wife has asked me to do ribs. From past experiences, I know she likes ribs very sweet. I normally either use yellow mustard as a glue or none at all if I am in a hurry. My rub is then usually a mixture of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  I was wondering though, has anyone ever used Honey Mustard as a glue and if so, did it impart any extra sweetness? I know the plain yellow doesn't really do anything flavor wise but wasn't sure if honey would offer any added sweet taste? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to really kick up the sweet factor? Planning on smoking with cherry. Thanks.

My MIL is coming over for dinner on Saturday and the wife has asked me to do ribs. From past experiences, I know she likes ribs very sweet. I normally either use yellow mustard as a glue or none at all if I am in a hurry. My rub is then usually a mixture of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  I was wondering though, has anyone ever used Honey Mustard as a glue and if so, did it impart any extra sweetness? I know the plain yellow doesn't really do anything flavor wise but wasn't sure if honey would offer any added sweet taste? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to really kick up the sweet factor? Planning on smoking with cherry. Thanks.
When I want to do sweet I start with a molasses base, sprinkle on some turbinado sugar then sprinkle on the rub.  For a finishing glaze I use a combination of Vinegar based BBQ, Hickory BBQ, Corn Syrup and peach preserves.  My vinegar base has a lot of spice to it because the people I prepare for like sweet yet spicy.  I would think you could skip the vinegar base and ramp up some real sweet with the BBQ sauce, corn syrup and preserves.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky