Rib Roast - 1st timer, couldn't have chosen more challenging conditions!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mountaineer

Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Couldn't have chosen a more challenging day to try and smoke my first Rib Roast. Just north of Pittsburgh, Pa, the weather was 26 degrees with 18 MPH winds (12/26/12). Blowing snow.

I have a DBS 4 rack with no modifications. Placed it on my covered front porch, but horizontal snow impacted things. Had a large cardboard box covering the unit with the top extending 2 ft above the top of the smoker. Had DBS temp set on 320 the whole time, still only able to get the temp up to 235 degrees.

Left it in the smoker for 2hrs 15 min using apple smoke the entire time. A video of me taking the roast out of the smoker in horizontal snow would have been priceless!!

Time and temp timeline:

- Ramped from 165 to 195 degrees in the first 40 min in smoker

- Climbed to 235 during next hour (1hr 40 min cumulative)

- Stayed at 235 for final 35 minutes (2hr 15 min cumulative in smoker)

- Moved to kitchen oven 285 degrees for next 1.5 hours (3hr 45 min cumulative cook time)

- Reduced temp to 265 degrees for final 45 minutes ( 4.5 hr total cooking time)

- Removed roast at 133 IT. IT climbed to 141 in 20 min

Cut bone 7/8 of way down and left attached. Placed rub inside. Tied back with butcher twine.

BTW, I will share a link to the most comprehesive Rib Roast web site I found. More food tech based with great pics as examples.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/...-cook-christmas-recipe-dry-aged-wet-aged.html

My chosen prep....

Dry rub for 20 hrs:

1/3 cup Kosher salt

3 Tbsp dry mustard

4 tsp coarsely ground black perpper

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp onion powder

2 tsp dried thyme, crushed

2 tsp dried oregano, crushed

2 tsp ground coreander

2 1/2 tsp celery salt

1 6.5 lb Rib Roast bone in

Very little juice loss in smoker or in oven.

What I learned:

1. Must add a second heating element for winter smoking. Need more info on the type of on off switch. I would like to add that option as well. The info on this forum covers the heating element install very well

2. The DBS thermometer is low by about 17 degrees. Used a hanging heat probe too.

3. Need to add the Auber PID to reduce attention needed to smoker tempurature. Will go with single probe unit as I have 2 wireless food sensors now. Unless the pros on this forum think I should go with the double probe.

4. I will remove the bone completely next time to make radient IT more consistent.

5. Should rely more on the accuracy of the 5 day weather forecast in the winter!!!!!

Great forum for a novice like myself. Thanks to all that contribute.

Welcome to the nuthouse!!

Pittsburgh's a great town, one of my favorites. If I have to choose my last meal I want it to be a buffalo chicken sandwich from Primanti's and a large order of fries from the O.  Or maybe a sausage pizza from that place in Squirrel Hill. Can't remember the name, but it's down the hill from that other pizza place. But I digress.

Sounds like the roast ended up pretty good. I have no idea what a DBS is, but I'm going to assume it's some sort of electric smoker. You certainly have a complex process for making a rib roast, but it looks like it works!

Congrats on the Rib roast Success!!! Looks excellent from here even if mother nature didn't want to cooperate...
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky