Rib Cure Conundrum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
On my eternal quest for BBQ perfection I decided to tweak my baby back rib process. I was picturing my usual baby backs with a slight cure infusion. I scoured my trusted book and internet resources and decided on using Marianski's pork butt wet cure formula. My thoughts were to limit the cure to 48 hours and use no salt in my usual dry rub. Bottom line, way over salted/cured. This brings me to believe that bone to meat ratio needs to be taken into account when executing a dry or wet cure. So, Eg., if one were to have 10 lbs of ribs, how would you formulate your wet or dry cure? Interested in seeing if there's anyone out there that has an adjusted methodology for ribs or other high bone to meat ratio cuts. Thanks in advance!
Bones should never be weighed as part of the formula when making an equilibrium or gradient brine. Subtract 30% of the total weight for pork ribs then calculate salt. Would also direct inject the brine into the meat between the bones and shorten the total brine time like when making Kassler ribs. The fresh pet food community has already done all the math for your bone weight, https://www.freshfoodtribe.com/bone-content

Reactions: LOW_IN_SLO
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky