Reverse Searing Steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
I never owned a cast iron skillet but read that steaks seared in a cast iron skillet are good. Local store had Lodge 12" skillets on sale so I picked one up today.

Looking for some cooking temps and time. I am thinking of smoking at 225 until until an internal temp of 110. Pull the steaks off and rest while the grill ramps up to sear temp. This on a Masterbuilt 560. This came off the Masterbuilt website.

The sear temp is what I need help with. The steak sear temp Masterbuilt suggests for the 560 is 600-700 degrees without a cast iron skillet. 600-700 degrees is pretty hot and I am afraid the steak will embed itself into the skillet until the end of time.

If the metal is fully up to temp the meat won't stick, but that's with a properly seasoned pan.
Your mileage may vary with a brand new one.
Why, may I ask, would you not just flop it on the cast iron cook grate in your MB?

Reactions: whistlepig
I've never reverse seared in a CI pan. But I've done a few on my Grill. My guess is if the CI pan has some oil or Pm sprayed in it, the steak shouldn't stick. I do know when you're working with those high temps, the steak IT rises pretty fast, like a couple minutes. Are you using a cook in temp probe? When I do it, the steak only spends about 2-3 minutes on each side for the sear, and IT comes up fast. My grill only gets up to 450'. So if you are doing it at 600-700', I'd think it will be a shorter sear time. Let us know how it goes.

My advice is it takes time to find the path that you like the best, a char/sear is good with some seasonings and not others. sometimes no char/sear is preferred in order to not change the flavor of your seasoning's. 1 of the best ribeye's I have ever cooked I didn't sear and the SuckleBuster's 1836 rub absolutely shined with great flavor

My favorite ways to sear are 1- over a screaming hot bed of coals, or 2- in a screaming hot CI skillet. The skillet produces a nice char to it. I will put a tbl spoon or so of clarified butter in the pan, get it hot and begin with searing the sides the best that I can. Once the sides are seared, plop the steak in the skillet 2 minutes or so, flip for about the same then enjoy. As mentioned above, the temp will shoot up quickly, so watch out.

I always do this on my gasser, as it will make a mess inside.

I never owned a cast iron skillet but read that steaks seared in a cast iron skillet are good. Local store had Lodge 12" skillets on sale so I picked one up today.

Looking for some cooking temps and time. I am thinking of smoking at 225 until until an internal temp of 110. Pull the steaks off and rest while the grill ramps up to sear temp. This on a Masterbuilt 560. This came off the Masterbuilt website.

The sear temp is what I need help with. The steak sear temp Masterbuilt suggests for the 560 is 600-700 degrees without a cast iron skillet. 600-700 degrees is pretty hot and I am afraid the steak will embed itself into the skillet until the end of time.
Don’t think you can get the CI too hot to sear. Throw a couple TBSP of butter in it then the steaks and baste with the butter until desired temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky