Reverse seared Tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Bird

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Tips were on sale at the local Safeway, so I grabbed two to reverse sear.

Salted both and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, then seasoned them simply with granulated garlic, onion powder, and black pepper. On the MB Gravity 800 to smoke with mesquite chunks in the chute and the ash pan. at 210 F:
20210425_155706.jpg

Pulled them when the thinner one reached 120 F, let them rest for about 25 min, then back on the grill at 650 F to sear. Before sear: 20210425_173520.jpg
After sear: 20210425_175515.jpg
Sliced up:
20210425_175834.jpg
Plated with some Italian salsa verde, herbed rice, and a simple salad of arugula and baby romaine from the garden: 20210425_180253.jpg

Turned out pretty good. We usually like it a little more rare, but with a more charred crust. Next time I think I'll pull around 105 to 110 F, but char it longer. The mesquite flavor was strong. Almost too much for the wife, but I was loving it.

So did this guy: 20210403_155047.jpg

Looks really good! Good looking pal you have there also!

Ryan

Great job. Looks delicious. I've run into that too, pulling out of smoker a little too late. It's tricky.

Tips were on sale at the local Safeway, so I grabbed two to reverse sear.

Salted both and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, then seasoned them simply with granulated garlic, onion powder, and black pepper. On the MB Gravity 800 to smoke with mesquite chunks in the chute and the ash pan. at 210 F:
View attachment 494102

Pulled them when the thinner one reached 120 F, let them rest for about 25 min, then back on the grill at 650 F to sear. Before sear:View attachment 494104
After sear:View attachment 494106
Sliced up:
View attachment 494107
Plated with some Italian salsa verde, herbed rice, and a simple salad of arugula and baby romaine from the garden:View attachment 494105

Turned out pretty good. We usually like it a little more rare, but with a more charred crust. Next time I think I'll pull around 105 to 110 F, but char it longer. The mesquite flavor was strong. Almost too much for the wife, but I was loving it.

So did this guy:View attachment 494108

Damn, that looks pretty darn good.

But if you like char on your T.T. there is no better way to cook them than over an open pit with a combo of white hot Mesquite and Oak coals. You can cheat by using Royal Oak lump, but it isn't quite the same as real wood burnt down to coals.
Make sure you have a good bed of white hot coals while you're waiting for the coals to get screaming hot. Rub with grape seed oil season the T.T. with a heavy hand of smashed garlic ground into a paste then coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper chopped fresh rosemary. Then toss the T,T. onto the grill and turn every minute or two until it's cooked to rare... then set it on a rack uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
I've cooked many thousand Tri tip. and Ball tip, and it doesn't get and better.
(I like Ball tips 10x better than T.T.) Try some if you can find them, I'm guessing you live on the west coast since you mention Safeway. Kinder's meats sells ball tip per marinaded, and it's DAMN good stuff.

Nice TT and plate shot ! Love the char you can get with the MB 560/800/1050 .

Thanks. The char and mesquite smoke flabor went great with the salsa verde.

Great job. Looks delicious. I've run into that too, pulling out of smoker a little too late. It's tricky.

Thanks. Yep, next time I'll pull earlier. Can always heat it a little longer if it's raw.

Damn, that looks pretty darn good.

But if you like char on your T.T. there is no better way to cook them than over an open pit with a combo of white hot Mesquite and Oak coals. You can cheat by using Royal Oak lump, but it isn't quite the same as real wood burnt down to coals.
Make sure you have a good bed of white hot coals while you're waiting for the coals to get screaming hot. Rub with grape seed oil season the T.T. with a heavy hand of smashed garlic ground into a paste then coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper chopped fresh rosemary. Then toss the T,T. onto the grill and turn every minute or two until it's cooked to rare... then set it on a rack uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
I've cooked many thousand Tri tip. and Ball tip, and it doesn't get and better.
(I like Ball tips 10x better than T.T.) Try some if you can find them, I'm guessing you live on the west coast since you mention Safeway. Kinder's meats sells ball tip per marinaded, and it's DAMN good stuff.

Thanks. That sounds like an awesome way to cook tri tip. I'd love to have an open pit set up, but that's probably a couple of years away. I'm in a neighborhood of Seattle, and we don't have a ton of room for several cook set ups. I'm interested in one of the Santa Maria grills you can put on a patio firepit, but I'll need to redo the patio first. Down the road.

Looks delicious!
Great looking meal!
Al

Thanks Al.

Thanks. The char and mesquite smoke flabor went great with the salsa verde.

Thanks. Yep, next time I'll pull earlier. Can always heat it a little longer if it's raw.

Thanks. That sounds like an awesome way to cook tri tip. I'd love to have an open pit set up, but that's probably a couple of years away. I'm in a neighborhood of Seattle, and we don't have a ton of room for several cook set ups. I'm interested in one of the Santa Maria grills you can put on a patio firepit, but I'll need to redo the patio first. Down the road.

Thanks Al.

Hi Al, by "open pit" I did mean Santa Maria grills, but I use my Weber 22'' kettle with the lid off the whole time when I'm grilling T/T and B/T's and as long as you pretty much keep the meat turning, by that I mean don't walk away from the grill and turn the meat every min or two. They will turn out perfectly every time. Well almost every time depending on how much the grill master has been drinking or smoking.
I use two charcoal chimneys full 1 filled with Royal Oak lump charcoal and the other full of Mesquite lump charcoal. Then I toss on a few small Oak wood splits to bump up the smoke profile green oak works best because it smokes more than seasoned oak wood does so if you have any use it. I'd love to have some pecan wood splits but its damn near a ghost out here in northern CA. Pecan nut husks work amazing as well if you can find them. I used to get 5gal buckets full of pecan husks from a processing plant, but I moved. The husks were just thrown by the hand full over the hot coals while the meat was grilling.

Check it out if you can find some.
Dan

Nice work and plate!

I do agree with forktender forktender over a natural wood flame coals on a Santa Maria grill is my #1 for TT. Although I also reverse sear them all the time. I pull them at IT-115 ish then sear till 130 ish so they carry over to 140 ish which is were we like our TT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky