Reverse flow smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinfun

Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
I just got a new Oklahoma Joe Reverse flow smoker. This smoking with a fire box is all new to me. I'm use to using an Akorn kettle Kooker. I've been putting full chimney of coals in box then once it ashes I put my wood in. Getting my thin blue line of smoke has proven more difficult than I'm use to. If anyone can give me tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Get you some kingsford, get a charcoal chimney, get a bag of hickory chunks ... or if you want, you can burn splits .. oak, hickory, etc ... get a good fire going for about 5 hrs and season that baby up... should spray some maybe vegetable oil all over the inside ... not the fire box though, just lightly ... also,after a couple hrs... chuck on a piece of meat ... play around with air vents, and this all controls heat in chamber ... 

I usually start with charcoal .. then add like 1/2 a chimney of charcoal every hr .. but i start with a full chimney...when i buy hickory, chunks .. walmart has the big chunks, if i add splits, i just set it in firebox, touching end on charcoal, then it burns to the other end ...

Last edited:
I've already seasoned it and usd peanut oil. I'm good on kingsford (23 bags) I just bought split wood yesterday ( pecan, hickory,oak, cherry). I'm just struggling with mechanics of getting thin blue line of smoke like I had with my kettle. It's either full smoke out or none right now lol

Thanks for your help Griz, yes it is pretty nice. I just feel like a newb, been grilling long time haha!

hmm  have you tried extending the stack  increase the draw  outta the chamber? one thing i found  with mine oak joe is  the stacks are not nearly long enough  or wide enough stock for great airflow/exhaust draw.  i added a 6 inch metal duct pipe  really helped  get smoke and air through the chamber better 

Cksteele, I just seen someone commented that they changed their stack to a 4" x24". So you just added 6 inches to the top of the stack? How's that working out?

its working  out great  now  ive noticed a huge difference  experiment and see   what length  you need if that  helps with overall exhaust and burn.  simply way is just duct tape  some tin cans to the stack and add  2 cans at a time to see whats best then go  for a permanent  fix 

Reactions: smokinfun
I've already seasoned it and usd peanut oil. I'm good on kingsford (23 bags) I just bought split wood yesterday ( pecan, hickory,oak, cherry). I'm just struggling with mechanics of getting thin blue line of smoke like I had with my kettle. It's either full smoke out or none right now lol

Dude, you have 23 bags of Kingsford charcoal? What are you hording the stuff in case of SHTF? Please post a pic of your charcoal fort, lol. :icon_eek:

As for getting the thin blue smoke, you gotta make sure there's an active flame in your fire box on the wood. And it sometimes helps to preheat the wood splits before putting them in, set them on top of the firebox or below so that they start to warm up. That way when you put them on the bed of coals the catch fire almost instantly. Once they do that you will immediately see the color of the smoke change. If the wood is just smoldering or is too wet, then it can cause the heavy white smoke.

Last edited:
23 bags of Kingsford aint crap, I probably  got 40 bags kingsford, , and another 15 bags of embers along with a pickup of hickory splits

I buy a shit tone when it's on sale for 9 bucks a twin pack!

We buy 2 times  year, memorial day and labor day,  ...

Last edited:
I missed out on the last sale, I didn't have this smoker then, hell my kettle can run all night on half of chimney. This okj is kind of a hog!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky