Reverse Flow build help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sharahso

Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
I am in the process of making a reverse flow smoker. Right now, I have welded 2 55 gallon steel drum and made some doors. I am planning to make a firebox and the plate on the inside of the body. I have read all the posts and articles I can find but still have not found answers. (I am living in a tropical country so the coldest it can go here is around 23degrees celcius.)
Questions:
1. Do I have to insulate my firebox? If yes, can I use a rockwood instulation pad with a rating of 650 degrees celcius?
2. For the firebox, I've read on forums and other websites that I would need to use 1/4" steel. What kind of steel is that? is it BI? GI? Stainless? MS Plate? I called up local suppliers and they gave me the thickest BI and GI sheets they have and it is only 1.6mm which is 0.063in and far from 1/4" steel.
3.For the reverse flow, What type and how thick should my base plate be?
4. for the chimney: I have found a website that you can fill up the form with measurements and it says how big everything should be and it says i need around 5-6" pipe with 30" length for my chimney? should I follow it? posted site below:
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
5.For painting the whole smoker, I couldnt find any other paint but fireproof spray paint. My problem is I've tried this paint without any primer and it gets removed when there is an oil build up on the painted areas. What should I do about this?
6. For the grill grates, I've read that a lot uses expanded metal, What type of expanded metal is this? I couldnt find stainless expanded metal too so I was thinking of just making my own stainless grate.

Sorry for the long post. Hope someone could help! Thank you!

Hi! There are a lot of available but im not sure if it is ok to use for the smoker. Like the 1/4in steel, what type if steel?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky