Results For Being In A Hurry !! (Tractor Disaster)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
So I let the neighbors know I was getting the Tractor Smoker out. They brought me 2 briskets, a slab of ribs, and a whole pork loin... For myself I had a pork picnic, slab of spares, and a slab of baby backs ...

OK.. so I get up at 5:30 am to fire the smoker up so I can get the briskets on early ... Fire it up with 4-6 splits to get it up to 350 or more... When splits burn down to coals I spray the inside of cook chamber with a shower from the water hose... Well... When I open the cook chamber door I see that I forgot to take out my little square spade shovel and my long handled cleaning brush (that's where I store them)... The shovel HAD a plastic handle and the cleaning brush WAS all plastic....

Needless to say that all the plastic had melted down through all the grates and onto the reverse flow plates...

SOB I yelled ... There is nothing worse than trying to get melted plastic that turned back hard when it cooled, that wrapped around the wires of each grate...

So getting in a hurry cost me an extra hour of clean up time... but then also the time to bring the smoker back up to temps ...

Here's what's left of the brush (was about 2' long) and the shovel handle

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG
Wish I woulda got a picture of the plastic dripping through the grates ...

After getting it all cleaned up and loaded

IMG_1718.JPG

It all turned out good in the end... BUT ...

As Kingsford said in their commercials... ''SLOW DOWN AND GRILL''

PS. I didn't get any complaints of tasting like plastic ...

Despite the bad start looks like it came out great. Went and checked out the cooker link. Great looking smoker.
Jim

Looks like a great finish to a bad start!
I'm sure the neighbors were happy and didn't mind the delay!

Keith

Sorry for the tough start, it happens to all of us. Glad all that awesome looking food turned out great!!

Man that sucks. I also keep my plastic wire brush in the cook chamber also and have often worried about doing that.
I know you started out feeling like a chump but you finished like a champ.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky