Resturaunt Ribs???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

midwestcop

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Caseyville, IL
Ok im sure some have already scowled at my topic title. LOL, BUT... here it goes...... I have done the 3-2-1 method, and I like it, it makes for some great ribs, I soak my ribs in a mix of Pineapple and Apple juice overnight, then during the 2 in 3-2-1 I once again use the juice mix.... as always the times vary depending on temp and how the ribs are looking..... Each time I have had fall off the bone ribs, But there is this resturaunt that Im sure some have eaten at called "Texas Roadhouse", My ribs are good, but I hate to say that theirs are better..... when I asked them how they are cooked, the only reply I can get is that it is a 4 day process. So does anyone know the process, I want to make ribs that are as good as theirs... I have a freind that keeps telling me Crock Pot, I said NOOOOO WAYY im not puttin my ribs in a crock pot BBQ sauce bath.. But a 4 day process seems extreme, I cant believe they are smoking them for 4 days. are the full of it??

Well…they might brine em or rub em for a couple days in fridge, or they might partially smoke them to tender, then finish next day to firm up! There are all kinds of tricks!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I think Up in Smoke may be on to something. I rubbed some ribs one evening for a next evening smoke. Something came up and I didn't get to smoke them for three days and the Mrs. says to this day those ribs were the best ones I have ever done. She not here right now, so I'll say I have to agree with her. Just a thought.

I would think something along those same lines, maybe marinade for a couple of days, spend a day rubbed and wrapped and then smoked. Probably smoked on a pressure sealed type commercial smoker too.

Those guys have spent a lot of money on that taste, and a lot on the machines to turn it out consistently. Prime rib, for example, is cooked in computer-timed ovens before being delivered to restaurants like Outback. When you order a certain done-ness, a cold, half-cooked piece goes into a boiling vat of beef broth for a certain number of seconds for your order. We can come close to doing things the same way over and over, but if we had our own beef/pork suppliers and everything controlled by guys named Ernie in white coats, we'd be able to do that too. Also, a lot of the flavor is "enhanced"....MSG, sugar, etc.

The Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorite chain places. We had one in the town where I went to college. The manager was a 26 year old guy that had an eye for "talent" when hiring the wait staff.

Anyway, a group of buddies and I ate in there all the time. They had a rib basket with fires and a chicken finger basket with fries on the appetizer menu. As college students, it was all we could afford. We'd fill up on their yeast rolls with cinnamin butter and eat one of the appetizer baskets. We went so much that even if we ordered off of the appetizer menu they would bring us a real platter but only charge us for the basket. :)

thats funny my son is in collage. and the last 4 year his has lived off of Texas roadhouse food.. almost the same was you tell it.they go in later after football meeting..and eat for almost free if you think of all the food they eat.. thanks roadhouse for feeding my kid...

Here is a link in which they say how to make Texas Roadhouse ribs. I should say that I personally don't think that they are real BBQ if this is the method they use (Liquid smoke
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
) , but to each there own. Besides, if you dip anything in bacon grease it's bound to taste good.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=977859

Odd as it is for a steak house, but they have great chicken fingers, which is usually what I get when I go there.

I didn't post above that I have never smelled smoke there; so, I didn't figure the ribs where actually smoked.

When I find good meat prices which isn't often I'll buy a bunch of something like beef or pork and mix up some marindate throw it on the bag and suck the air out with a straw (now I have a vacume sealer).

There's something about the meat freezing and ice cyrstals forming in the meat that really sucks the marinate in well. The meat is always more tender, juicey and flavorfulweeks or months down the road.

I have heard about freezing ribs before, but wasnt sure where or how it was put in the process.... I may have to try that

After reading that.....No thanks. But, I'm sure they are tender. I'll do it the old fashion way. Low and slow with charcoal and wood, not baked in a bath.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky