Restocking some buckboard and Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Started a batch of buckboard and Canadian bacon about 2 weeks ago. As always I used Pops brine with a substitution of Swerve Brown for the brown sugar. Got it smoked on Saturday with a mix of oak and cherry. Finally got around to slicing and packing yesterday. Here are a few pics

Yielded around 14 lbs. from 20 lbs of boneless butt.
bb .jpg

Smaller loin for some Canadian bacon. I mostly do this for family that loves it. I prefer the buckboard.
canadian.jpg

Had to get some out to fry and try lol

ready to fry bb.jpg

About a lbs. cooked up. Think I will have a nibble now and bacon on a burger later.
fried bacon 2.jpg

thanks for looking!

Looks great! I have never done buckboard bacon. I need tongive it a try! I can not ever find fresh belly to do bacon with unless i make a decent drive. I can buy butts all day long for cheap. How are you trimming the butts? Just split them through the middle and keep the fat cap side for the bacon?

Looks great! I have never done buckboard bacon. I need tongive it a try! I can not ever find fresh belly to do bacon with unless i make a decent drive. I can buy butts all day long for cheap. How are you trimming the butts? Just split them through the middle and keep the fat cap side for the bacon?
I split them and use both sides. Some is just leaner that way. I also trim the fat cap some depending how thick it is. It doesn’t crisp up quite like belly but the flavors great. Kind of a hybrid of bacon and ham. If you slice it thinner it will crisp up a bit better.

I split them and use both sides. Some is just leaner that way. I also trim the fat cap some depending how thick it is.
Awesome! How much salt are you using with pops brine? And do you soak after the cure ? Sorry for all the questions i just really want to give this try.

Awesome! How much salt are you using with pops brine? And do you soak after the cure ? Sorry for all the questions i just really want to give this try.
I use one cup of coarse salt. I do soak after cure and test fry. If too salty I’ll do it again. Usually it’s not very salty. Before you slice it all I’d try a few thicknesses, cook them and then decide.

I split them and use both sides. Some is just leaner that way. I also trim the fat cap some depending how thick it is.
Awesome! How much salt are you using with pops brine? And do you soak after the cure ? Sorry for all the questions i just really want to give this try
I use one cup of coarse salt. I do soak after cure and test fry. If too salty I’ll do it again. Usually it’s not very salty. Before you slice it all I’d try a few thicknesses, cook them and then decide.
Thanks! I guess i need to go pick up a few butts now. Lol! Yours looks fantastic! Nice job on it!

Reactions: jcam222

I did 3 batches of BBB to learn the process and determine what we liked. We got a bunch butts cheap figuring if I screw up not a big financial loss. It gave me the confidence to move on to the more expensive belly. Lots of good information on this forum.

I did 3 batches of BBB to learn the process and determine what we liked. We got a bunch butts cheap figuring if I screw up not a big financial loss. It gave me the confidence to move on to the more expensive belly. Lots of good information on this forum.
Thats a smart move for sure. Ive done a lot of belly's and your right they are expensive. We butcher hogs every year so thats typically where i get belly from . But when we are out of bacon before that time of year i have a hard time finding it. And when i do it cost about half of what i can buy a whole hog for! Lol. Thats why im so intrested in trying out the buckboard . Way cheaper and looks like it makes great bacon!

It does make excellent bacon, less fat so it’s healthy!
Honestly with the pictures jcam222 jcam222 put up of it fried up and ready to eat all i can think about right now is how good the buckboard bacon would be as a staked high BLT sandwich! Healthy or not i would be all over one of those right about now! lol!

LOOKS AWESOME. What was your smoke routine? I'd have to check my notes but I did like 10hrs and was no where enough for me. I think I will try 2 12hrs for 24 on next run.

Sowsage Sowsage Not sure if Kroger near you but they are advertising butts at $.99/lb this week here. To me , the key for BBB is to dry it in the fridge a bit before and after the smoke. That being said, I am one of the weird guys that prefer ham or CB over bacon.

BTW Go Browns!

LOOKS AWESOME. What was your smoke routine? I'd have to check my notes but I did like 10hrs and was no where enough for me. I think I will try 2 12hrs for 24 on next run.

Sowsage Sowsage Not sure if Kroger near you but they are advertising butts at $.99/lb this week here. To me , the key for BBB is to dry it in the fridge a bit before and after the smoke. That being said, I am one of the weird guys that prefer ham or CB over bacon.

BTW Go Browns!
Thanks zwiller zwiller ill check out the kroger ad thats a heck of a deal!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky