restaraunt commercial smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

el capitan

Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
what are some of the recommended brands and types of smokers used for small mom and pops style bbq joints?

Do you want electric, gas or coals?? Tons of pages on google.

I put in "commercial brands and types of smokers  " and it was impressive.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Google " pressure smokers "  Dave54 and I was talking to a guy that just opened a bbq place he showed us his smoker and to my amazement it was a pressure smoker. He claims he smokes a pork butt in less than 3 hours. It was amazing how small it was . I couldn't believe he kept up with this smoker and was amazed how much meat claimed to smoke the previous week. ( 1500 lb.) This is in a village less than 600 people.

My SmokinTex unit is really designed for restaurant use. I have talked with the owner about this unit and he is pretty dedicated to serving that industry

I have two Southern Pride, a 750 and an 1150. 

When I researched cost per hour of smoke it was the best.  When I looked at them there was no doubt I had to have it.

icon_cool.gif

I would go with the Southern Pride's that Bob talking about for he knows what he's talkin about.

Do you want electric, gas or coals?? Tons of pages on google.

I put in "commercial brands and types of smokers  " and it was impressive.

Have a great day!!

Craig
not sure. What is the most common type seen? Which is most reliable as far as temp controls and less monitoring? Overall looking for a good commercial size smoker that will deliver the goods without having to baby sit all the time.

Gas, pellet, char coil, which is most efficient and cost effective? Took a look at the southern pride, they look good. thanks for the replies

Last edited:
Southern Prides in alot of places around here, they seem to be the best compramise between getting real wood flavor but running off gas mainly.

Horizon Smokers has huge commercial units available, I have seen one of the 15 footers, guy claimed he had 880 lbs on board and there was room left over. 

Those are really nice units Bob. What do they run for the smaller ones  

I have mine trailer mounted and set for propane and outdoor use so price is higher than the indoor units.  I think I paid $20K for the 750 and I don't remember what I paid for the 1150 because Zane ordered it while I was away.

the smallest gas burner I have seen was over $7000 around here, I have seen a larger one, not sure which that was all tricked out with rack kits and other options and was $41k. High dollar high output units, the "little" one I saw for 7k still holds over 250 lbs of meat if I remember right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky