Replacing the wooden handle on an old Enterprise stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Just picked up another Stuffer that needs restoration and this one has a rotten handle. I know what I would do to repair it but has anyone here already dealt with this ?

PJ, No picture so I'm not sure what the handle looks like,can you drill out a wooden dowel as a replacement?

Post up a pic .
Dan got the pic up . Thanks Dan. Well has anyone actually changed one of these out? I am planning on grinding the "weld" off the back side of the handle and drilling out a file handle to replace it. These were not welded so to speak. They were made in a foundry and I don't know the exact process the old blacksmiths used to flatten out the mounting bolt to the handle of the stuffer. Lot's of hammering on very hot metal I assume. Just seeking advice from anyone that has restored one of these handles.

Just seeking advice from anyone that has restored one of these handles.
Joe , I have not , but I think stuff like that was " cold peened " so maybe no heat was involve when assembled .
A little heat and a pin punch might push it out of the hole , and leave enough to re-peen it after you put the new handle on . Might be worth a try .
Or ,
Grind it flush , push it out and drill and tap the side of the mounting hole and use a set screw .

Reactions: poacherjoe
Joe , I have not , but I think stuff like that was " cold peened " so maybe no heat was involve when assembled .
A little heat and a pin punch might push it out of the hole , and leave enough to re-peen it after you put the new handle on . Might be worth a try .
Or ,
Grind it flush , push it out and drill and tap the side of the mounting hole and use a set screw .
I was thinking the same thing . The mounting bolt for the handle was Hammered or peened to set it. I was just going to grind it off enough to knock it out and replace the handle and then tack it back with some nickel rod . I picked this 4 quart up for 45 bucks and a little sandblasting and cleanup,Heat treat ,Repaint and it will be as good as new and best of all it's not made in China!! Thanks for the advice PJ

Reactions: chopsaw
Did you come up with a better plan ?
I was cleaning up in the shop earlier , and found a piece of a handle I had done for a Kamado grill . It was done in 2 halves then glued back together . Just a thought . Not sure how well that would work for what you have , but sometimes an idea will lead to something .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky