Replacing propane line

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Henry P.

Original poster
May 25, 2020
Long Island, NY
I have a DynaGlo vertical propane smoker. I want to replace the propane line it came with with one that has a regulator on it, but the one end seems crimped to the control unit of the smoker. Is there a way to somehow remove that line? I obviously dont want to damage the smoker where i cant use it. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20220416_164054564.jpg

Here is the connection. If I can't change it, then it is what it is. I was just looking for another way to control the temperature. Sometimes i have trouble getting it to stay below 250 degrees. Is it possible to only open the valve on the propane tank itself only halfway or even a quarter of the way?

Cut the propane hose and install a needle valve to control the propane flow....
THEN... because the flow is lower than recommended for your burner, you have to adjust the # of holes in the burner, so they won't blow out... The burner needs a fairly big flame to work properly...
Here is how some folks adjusted their burners...

View attachment 629486
Propane Burner adjustment.png

Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG

Burner BTU reductiion3.JPG

Burner BTU reductiion.JPG

daveomak daveomak has you covered. Adding a needle valve will give you much greater control. Since your connection is non-standard, cutting in a valve is your best route. You will need a valve and two barbed fittings.

Any guides available on what kind of valve to use and how to do it? I'm basically new to this and don't want to mess it up.

You could cut your hose a ways away from regulator and install similar. Most any hardware store will have. Need to get proper size barbs for your hose, small hose clamps should be used.
1650242868914.png

If you have a good propane appliance and parts shop, they should be able to help you select a needle valve, two of the correct size barbs, and two hose clamps. And some thread sealant or Teflon tape. Take your hose with you so they can get the correct size barbs.

Here’s another one I found at Walmart. Just tap into your tank hose with the help of a couple hose clamps

31D99C4F-2DD8-43CC-BDDC-4F69191DDB78.jpeg

Does anyone have any links to any needle valves, or recommendations for a brand to use? also, are their any needle valves that attach right to the propane tank itself?

never heard any noise on my smoker but on my 36in. blackstone griddle the regulator will sometimes make a buzzing sound when i put a new full tank on, the buzzing goes away after i use a bit of propane out of the tank

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky