Replaced all the grates on my new grill.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
One of the known issues with the new grill I purchased earlier this year was its tendency to flare up during use. Sure enough I quickly discovered the need to pay close attention with a spray bottle in one hand and the tongs in the other. The grates were excellent, extremely well made, carved out of solid metal and heavy. It was the design of the grill that seemed to be the culprit. So what to do... did some research and discovered you can order customized grate replacements from GrillGrates to fit your grill. I'd had known about these guys for quite some time as many smokers used them when they wanted their smokers to do the job of grilling since the design improves heat retention. From reading their website the discovery was the design also limits flare ups. Decided to take a chance. Long story short, bingo! The replacements arrived, they fit perfectly and the flare ups were greatly reduced. Turned out the heat retention part allowed me to reset the burners closer to LOW and save gas to boot.

Like other high end equipment manufacturers, final designs don't always result in perfection when it comes to use by the public. It's the never ending battle between the internal forces of engineers and marketing vs customers. Should I have had to modify a very expensive grill, certainly not, but a few bucks more and now it's performing exactly the way I want it too. Arsenal is now complete, both smoker and grill performing as they should.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky