• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Removing paint from donor tank

paticus

Joined Jan 24, 2021
Hi everybody. Newbie to the forum.

I started a smoker build with a 60 gallon Compressor tank. I'm using Feldon's calculator to plan out all of the dimensions, and will have a build topic.

However, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the black paint that is on the outside of this tank. I thought I could loosen it up with an oxy acetylene torch and angle grind (with wire brush) right off, but all I'm doing is knocking off the surface of the paint. Normally I would use a spray on paint stripper, but I'm hesitant to use that around a future food cooker.

Any suggestions?

For the final finish, my plan was to re-spray it with a high temp paint. If I can get nice bare metal I'm also considering boiled linseed oil.

smkr.jpg

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Weed burner, putty knife for scraping and an angle grinder with wire wheels are your friend.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Wear goggles when wire wheeling, they make a hand held sand blaster if you have a good compressor that will be the easiest way imo,

rjob

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 15, 2015
Coating might be powder coating. Removal can be a bit difficult. First choice would be abrasive blasting. Second choice Rustolem aircraft finish remover.

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
Leave it. Sand prime and paint. The tank shouldn't get that hot. The fire box gets the heat

My 2 cents

Boykjo

paticus

Joined Jan 24, 2021
Thanks for the tips. I tried more flames, and wire wheels with little results. However, I ultimately got it off with 4" stripper wheels. I ate through 2 of them, and it took about 2 hours. The disks worked really well on whatever finish this was. The majority of the caps will be cut out, so I'll save those for later.

I think ultimately I agree with boykjo boykjo that stripping the paint bare was unnecessary, but here we are anyways :)

wheels.jpg
paintOff.jpg

paticus

Joined Jan 24, 2021
For anybody else that finds this, the stripper wheels will disintegrate if you use them on an edge. If you have a flat-ish surface, they last a surprisingly long time. On the edges of the door cut-out, I had to make sure the rotation was spinning away from the edge. Otherwise you can kiss your $8 wheel goodbye in seconds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.