Reminder about Offsite Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I'd like to ask everyone's help on this.. we've had a long standing rule that we don't post offsite links unless it's the only possible way to help someone.

For instance, If someone needs a recipe for pulled pork, don't send them to another website for that recipe.

Instead, find one on SMF and give that link.

This keeps visitors in our playground and gives us a chance to show them that we are the best resource for their smoking questions.

I work hard as do our moderators and admins and we even pay for services and tools to get people to SMF. Once they get here, let's show them that SMF is their best resource.

Fact: People who are sent somewhere else for their solution, will likely never find their way back.

I really appreciate YOUR help with this.

Makes sense to me based on as you said the investment to attract what is essentially a customer for you. Question - are our own Youtube Links acceptable as long as they are not directing traffic elsewhere?

Makes sense to me based on as you said the investment to attract what is essentially a customer for you. Question - are our own Youtube Links acceptable as long as they are not directing traffic elsewhere?
Youtube video links are fine, including my own, as long as they are embedded here on the site instead of sending people to YouTube to watch.

Reactions: jcam222
I'd like to ask everyone's help on this.. we've had a long standing rule that we don't post offsite links unless it's the only possible way to help someone.

For instance, If someone needs a recipe for pulled pork, don't send them to another website for that recipe.

Instead, find one on SMF and give that link.

This keeps visitors in our playground and gives us a chance to show them that we are the best resource for their smoking questions.

I work hard as do our moderators and admins and we even pay for services and tools to get people to SMF. Once they get here, let's show them that SMF is their best resource.

Fact: People who are sent somewhere else for their solution, will likely never find their way back.

I really appreciate YOUR help with this.
Just saying Jeff, I'm usually selfish and point them to a link on SMF of my own recipe posts.....LOL

Reactions: jcam222
Are links to other sites for specialties like sausage making permissible? We have a lot of sausage recipes posted by members, but they really don't cover everything. Or if someone is shopping for things sausage making equipment/supplies, can we post links to sites that sell those things?

Unless it's like wildforks or something? lol ... not touching this will just throw down a Jawohl .... Your playground your rules /shrug.

all I have to say.jpg

Youtube video links are fine, including my own, as long as they are embedded here on the site instead of sending people to YouTube to watch.
I’ll have to double checked mine and make sure I’m embedding. Not sure on the process.

I hope I wasn't off base posting a link to the egg resource for here in central Texas / Austin area? If so please accept my apology.

I hope I wasn't off base posting a link to the egg resource for here in central Texas / Austin area? If so please accept my apology.
Are links to other sites for specialties like sausage making permissible? We have a lot of sausage recipes posted by members, but they really don't cover everything. Or if someone is shopping for things sausage making equipment/supplies, can we post links to sites that sell those things?
Doug, Our main intent is to help everyone who has a question about smoking meat. So if we don't have the resources anywhere on SMF, then yes, get them help in some way.

Great question!

No worries.. I'm not aware of that post and I'm certainly not pointing fingers at anyone or singling anyone out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky