"Remember Me" this video will move you

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
With the couple of threads we have going about sending cards and care packages to our Military Personnel, I thought that I would share this with you.

This video "Remember Me" was put together by a young lady (15 yrs old). Excellent job she did and yes, those are tears in my eyes and no it ain't from the smoke- http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1

Dutch, I've got a huge admiration for the young lady the put this video together. I've got a much larger admiration for our men and women who go and serve our country. I'm proud of each of them!

Thank you for this vid. It's quite moving.

Dutch, thanks for the link. It brings everything into it's proper perspective. Sometimes we're so wrapped up in our own twine, we sometimes forget why we are able to do things that are only available in a free country.Those things are being protected everyday by those who care to be brave.

Wow Dutch... just wow...

tears are shorting out the keyboard here...

awesome Dutch.... we often take for granted the things that we have in life...that video reminds us all of the sacrifices others make for all the world to be able to live without fear and terrorism ! Thanks to the troops (past and present) in our Countries for the freedoms we have and for the sacrifice's these people and their families make for all mankind. I am truly touched....

I spent 20 years in the US Navy and I can tell you that the one thing I always like for someone to just stop me and say thank you for serving. It ALWAYS brightened my day.

Here is a lil thing that I should have posted at christmas:

Twas the night before Christmas,

He lived all alone, in a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney with the present to give,
And to see just who in this home did live.
I looked all about, a strange sight I did see, no tinsel, no presents,
not even a tree. No stocking by the mantle, just boots filled with sand;
on the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
With medals and badges, awards of all kinds, a sober thought came to my mind.
For this house was different, it was dark and dreary;
I found the home of a soldier, once I could see clearly.
The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone, curled up on the floor in the one-bedroom home.
The face was so gentle, the room in such disorder, not how I pictured a United States soldier.
Was this the hero of who Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d just read?
Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?
I realized the families that I saw this night, owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight.
Soon round the world the children would play and grown-up would celebrate a bright Christmas Day.
They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year, because of the soldiers, like the one lying here.
I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t help wonder how many lay alone, on a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home.
The very thought brought a tear to my eye, I dropped to my knees and started to cry.
The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice,
“Santa donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t cry, this life is my choice. I fight for freedom, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t ask for more, my life is: my God, my Country, my Corps.â€
The soldier rolled over and drifted to sleep.
I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t control it; I continued to weep.
I kept watch for hours, so silent and still and we both shivered from the cold nightâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s chill.
I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to leave on that cold, dark night, this guardian of honor so willing to fight.
Then the soldier rolled over, with a voice soft and pure, whispered,
“Carry on Santa, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Christmas Day; all is secure.â€
One look at my watch, and I knew he was right.
“Merry Christmas, my friend, and to all a good night.â€

Hey Dutch,
Moving. I'm really concerned for our efforts in the middle east. It seems that we, as a nation, are all for taking out the terrorist (like after 9/11) initially but when the going gets a little tough, some of us seem to loose our support and want to "bring them home." Other words ...... "we shouldn't have gone there, wrong war at the wrong time, I never was for it etc., etc."

In my heart of hearts, I can't help wonder that with our current lack of long term committment, what might have happened if the same mind set had been pervasive during WW II? Or even more concerning, with the spread of terroism being what it is, what can we look forward to for our selves and our children........ I wonder....... God Bless our Country, our military and especially that little 15 year old girl.

I have the up most respect for anyone willing to fight for their country,being former military myself.These people,as you all know,live through hellish conditions every day and risk their lives every day.Maybe I shouldn't air my views on this war but I must.This war is not about 9-11 or terrorism, its about greed,money, and power for those who started it.It has turned into a frickin nightmare from which there is no honorable retreat,and the brave men and women who are fighting it are paying the ultimate price.

No matter what our view is on the war, I see that we all agree that the most important thing is to support those that are fighting in it.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!

THANKS DUTCH!!!!!

I just read a book written by a US NAVY SEAL called Lone Survivor. He was the only man of his 4 man team on Operation Red Wing to survive the mission. They were ambushed by the Taliban in Afghanistan and during the attempted rescue of his team, a CH 47 with 16 other SEALS and Marines and aircrew were shot down by a RPG. He spent over a week in the hands of some non-taliban Afghanies who resisted attacks and protected him until they could move him to a nearby US base. One of the SEALS in his team, Danny Deitz was from right here in Littleton, CO. His family and friends had a statue built depicting him standing watch (taken from a photo), but it showed him holding a tool of his trade (an M4). Folks here in Littleton raised one hell of a stink and almost succeeded in stopping the statue from being erected. I drive by that statue several times a week, and it never fails to move me. Most of the time is gratefulness to men and women like Danny, but sometimes it's outright rage at the idiots who would be offended by a hero holding a tool that prolonged his and saved many others lives. Oh, one other thing. All 4 members of his SEAL team were honored by our president and congress by being awarded the NAVY CROSS (the highest commendation the NAVY gives out), and the leader was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor (the highest commendation the United States gives out).

I can highly recommend this book, and will warn those who decide to read it to stock up on tissues and handkerchiefs. It's a tough read for anyone who's seen combat and lost comrades.

KE

What can ya say about that? WOW!! OUTSTANDING!
Thank GOD for those men and women who are over there doing their job. I pray for them all the time, Let us NEVER forget them or any of those who have gone before them.

GOD HAS BLESSED AMERICA! With people who are willing to serve!

I wish more of our young people had the same spirit as this young lady!!

All I can say is Semper Fi.

As someone who knows that side of the fence, an excellent video. I will leave it at that except to say, Thanks Dutch.

Another good book along the same lines is Mia Rescue: Lrrps in Cambodia by K. Jorgenson. It chronicles the ambush and aftermath of the Lrrp (Long Range Recon Patrol) that my cousin (once removed) was in during Vietnam. He got messed up pretty bad during the ambush and to this day still has pain and trouble walking. He used to go to the local high schools every year and talk about it, but it just got too much for him to handle emotionally... he'd end up crying for most of the session.

Anyway, that's a great video Dutch... I get choked up everytime I watch it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky