reheating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
Had 2  pastrami that i wanted to steam so i could slice

Looked at different optons and finally decided on using an old broiler pan.

Had an old one that is pretty sturdy . Just fill the bottom about half way w/ water ( iaaded a tsp liquid crab boil and a tsp of texas petes) place the broiler rack on top .

lay the pastrami on this and seal the top w/ foil. I placed it on the stove top across two burners and heated to a simmer .

It did such a great job on the pastrami i figured that it might work well w/ other meats .

I put some pulled pork and some smoked chicken breast on the rack and sealed it up . back

on the burners. Both came out great. The only thing i wouldn't try this way may be ribs. Afraid that the steam may soften them up to much.

Try this method next time .you will be suprized at good this works.

Sounds like a good method Bob next time you do it post some pics for us to see exactly what your doing

Eman, are ya talkin the 2 piece pan where the meat set's above the water. I haven't seen ours in years but that sounds like a good way to warm them up.

Try this for ribs, I did it a couple weeks ago with some frozen ribs that I had smoked  and were vac sealed.

Pull them out of the freezer, place them in 180° water and let them simmer. Being the first time I've tried this I wasn't sure on how long to simmer them, and to be honest I didn't pay attention, sorry. But after a while I stuck a prob thru the bag and got a 160° reading . openned the bag and plated them and they were like they just  came off the smoker. Try it!

Dan

Eman, are ya talkin the 2 piece pan where the meat set's above the water. I haven't seen ours in years but that sounds like a good way to warm them up.

Try this for ribs, I did it a couple weeks ago with some frozen ribs that I had smoked  and were vac sealed.

Pull them out of the freezer, place them in 180° water and let them simmer. Being the first time I've tried this I wasn't sure on how long to simmer them, and to be honest I didn't pay attention, sorry. But after a while I stuck a prob thru the bag and got a 160° reading . openned the bag and plated them and they were like they just  came off the smoker. Try it!

Dan

That is the way I reheat everything I freeze and it is foolproof unless you let the water get to a boil. I have had bags start to melt and that was not good

Yes it's the old two piece broiler pan . I usually use the bag in the simmering water  method . But this way i can add a lil more flavor by puttin stuff in the simmering water.

Last edited:
I'm curious, since I don't know anything about homemade pastrami or I could just be stupid. Were you heating them because they were frozen, or because they slice better warm than cold, then reheating?  were you using a slicer or hand slicing?  sorry to sound so nosy, I just really love pastrami!

I'm curious, since I don't know anything about homemade pastrami or I could just be stupid. Were you heating them because they were frozen, or because they slice better warm than cold, then reheating?  were you using a slicer or hand slicing?  sorry to sound so nosy, I just really love pastrami!
Just search pastrami or dudestrami on here and you will enlightened.
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif

Yes your way is really good and I have been saying it for along time that steaming is the way to re-heat anything smoked. I do like your stick to it ness and the broiler pan was right close to BRILLANT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky