Reheating Brisket For Work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
So, I ended up with a much smaller barbecue job for work. My team at the helpdesk wants a brisket for Christmas lunch next week. I am going to smoke it this weekend and I want to serve it sliced for sandwiches and the point will be cubed for burnt ends. I'd like opinions on the best possible reheat method I can use at work without access to a smoker or oven? Any ideas are welcome.

G

Liquid is the key in re-heating brisket in my experience.Save them drippings and juices!

Like JLeonard JLeonard said a crock pot will do ya and if that isn't doable a covered foil pan in a low oven will do the trick also.

Reactions: JLeonard
So I did something similar for my daughters office on Thanksgiving lunch. Different cut of meat the same concept. Smoked pork loin the night before and vacuum-sealed it whole afterwards. Then used a crock pot filled with enough water to submerge the bag to warm it. A poor man's SV. I think he had to place a dish on top of it to keep it under. An idea I got from the guys here... Not mine lol. They sliced it at the lunch and said it was the best they had ever had and she eats a lot of pork tenderloin. If I had two crock pots I would go ahead at dump the burnt ends in another with sauce and let them simmer on their own until ready to eat.

My supervisor has an MES 30 and I was hoping that he might be able to bring that in but if not then I have to try something else. My Instant Pot has the souse vide feature and I may consider that. I would need a second one though for the burnt ends. I know lots of you have tried similar things so I was hoping to hear some alternate ideas if it was just something that might not have occurred to me. Thanks for all of the good advice and suggestions.

Just a follow up question for those that have used the souse vide method to reheat. What temp should I but setting the souse vide to for the purposes of just bringing the brisket back to a serving temp? I am thinking it shouldn't be necessary to bring it back to the 200 degree range since it is already cooked but I might be wrong. Please let me know if you have any experience with this method before Wednesday. Thanks so much in advance.

G

Just a follow up question for those that have used the souse vide method to reheat. What temp should I but setting the souse vide to for the purposes of just bringing the brisket back to a serving temp? I am thinking it shouldn't be necessary to bring it back to the 200 degree range since it is already cooked but I might be wrong. Please let me know if you have any experience with this method before Wednesday. Thanks so much in advance.

G
Vacuum seal or use the water bath method in a ziploc bag to get as much air out as possible. We want the plastic touching the brisket with no or absolutely as little air in between as possible.

Preheat the SV bath anywhere between 140-160* then put the meat in. You may need to weigh it down so it does not float to the surface. Keep the meat submerged. Plan on at least 1 hour for every inch of thickness. Just remember that even if you put it on first thing in the morning and it went 4-5 hours, the meat won’t ever get warmer than the set temp. So it’s not critical if it goes for twice as long as needed.

I appreciate that. I really just needed that safe temp range to set it at. I wasn't sure if it would need to be over 140 or not since it is already vacuum sealed. We are all looking forward to this special lunch.

G

I do mine from frozen , unsliced @145 . Last one I did was about 3 lbs . I went 2 1/2 hours .
My opinion is if you already broke down the " toughness " you can go to long in the SV . However for what you're doing it shouldn't be a problem .

This is a small hunk I did . From frozen , sliced after SV'd .
1639433760418.jpeg

I don't know guys, to me, sous vide is a risk because your food is cooking in plastic. It may be convenient but I can't do it.

I don't know guys, to me, sous vide is a risk because your food is cooking in plastic. It may be convenient but I can't do it.

It is perfectly safe many of us use them to prepare meals. We have a section dedicated to sous vide

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I just wanted to thank you guys for the awesome suggestions to use sous vide to reheat my smoked brisket at work today. It was just like I had smoked it five minutes ago. Perfect advice and the brisket was enjoyed by my entire team. Even our CIO was absolutely overjoyed with the results. I’m totally sold on the heating method for things like brisket and pulled pork. You folks are geniuses.

G

I just wanted to thank you guys for the awesome suggestions to use sous vide to reheat my smoked brisket at work today. It was just like I had smoked it five minutes ago. Perfect advice and the brisket was enjoyed by my entire team. Even our CIO was absolutely overjoyed with the results. I’m totally sold on the heating method for things like brisket and pulled pork. You folks are geniuses.

G
That’s why I love this forum, endless knowledge and thousands of years of collective experience!

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky