Ref; Some Buckboard and Pulled Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Preface; I broke the rule of expecting BBQ to go on a schedule.

I decided to finally try that pulled bacon thing I saw on Bear's page, so two weeks ago I cured two pork butts. One for buckboard bacon, and one for the pulled bacon experiment!

Some things I'll note for any one else who is gonna do it; I'd suggest trimming the pork butt for pulled bacon like you would any other. <I did not, and regret this>. I also would say it's easier to treat it as normal pulled pork and plan accordingly. I had tried to do the buckboard, and then pulled bacon at once. I pulled it at around 192f at 1ish AM.

So whilst it didn't quite come apart like pulled pork <maybe it just never does!> it sure tastes good...hammy..bacony..and looks alot like corned beef. I'll snap some pictures when I reheat it later today for dinner/bagging up yadda yadda.

I ran these with a full AMNPS load of corn cob pellets. Figured how well that works for bacon, should work for pulled bacon as well.

I'd take a picture of the cold pulled bacon, but honestly given I pulled it at 1:30 AM just to make sure it fit in a bowl to go in the fridge, it's got alot of fat etc congealed at the bottom etc etc. <Again why next time I will trim it like normal pulled pork>.

As for the buckboard..nothing real special. One was Italian seasoned <Family's favourite> the other is with Northwoods Fire from Penzeys. <Northwoods is a good blend, and the Fire version is new, has some chipotle in it>. I saved the bacon butts for beans and then about 2-3 pounds of bacon is in the fridge with out ever seeing the freezer.

PS: Yah it's alot of probes..I just got my inkbird and of course I had to use them all at once!

Attachments

• 20190622_153443.jpg
    20190622_153443.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190623_140423.jpg
    20190623_140423.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 39
Looks Good Tom!!
I'm betting it tastes Great too!!
Like.

I call it Pulled Ham, not Pulled Bacon.
I use the lean half for Pulled Ham, when I split a Butt in half, and save the Fatty half for BBB. That fat belongs in the Bacon BBB.

And mine pull real easy, because I don't quit at 192°. I think the one you were following I took to 207° before pulling. These things actually pull easier than uncured Pulled Pork if you take then to over 200°.

Be back to see more Pics.

Bear

Ayep..I noticed some thing when slicing all that BB..these pork butts just seemed plain fatty as well!

But I pulled it temp wise to early, but it was getting on in the wee hours of the AM and we were expecting rain and I was tired.

Sure is good with some scrambled eggs though! Next time I plan to properly trim! I can see my self doing this every over month! Yum Yum!

Attachments

• 20190623_165159.jpg
    20190623_165159.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 30
Call it anything you want...I'd call it delicious - judging by the photos.

Point for sure
Chris

Ayep..I noticed some thing when slicing all that BB..these pork butts just seemed plain fatty as well!

But I pulled it temp wise to early, but it was getting on in the wee hours of the AM and we were expecting rain and I was tired.

Sure is good with some scrambled eggs though! Next time I plan to properly trim! I can see my self doing this every over month! Yum Yum!

Yup---The only time I made one that I wasn't happy with was when I made one from a Whole Picnic Shoulder. It was tough to pull & it didn't taste as good.
Stay away from them!!

Bear

Last edited:
Yup---The only time I made one that I wasn't happy with was when I made one from a Whole Picnic Shoulder. It was tough to pull & it didn't taste as good.
Stay away from them!!

Bear

Have you ever wet brined one for this? Just curious :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky