Ref; New SMF throwdown?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
** Work in progress Write up **

Code word: Apple Time

Submission deadline: WIP
PM your entry (read the rules below) to me TomKnollRFV

The theme here is Apples used in the main course, visibly used! Sorry folks no using apple juice to do 3-2-1 ribs here! Apple slices and applesauce! Cored out apples! As long as it's a visible component of the main deal! No restrictions on meat or method used to cook!

Please remember you are being judged on

ORIGINALITY = thinking outside of the box
APPEARANCE = overall presentation and appeal of the dish
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY = technical difficulty involved in creation of dish

If you have any questions please PM me TomKnollRFV

Official Smf Throwdown Rules

A Guide
By sumosmoke, bmudd14474, and Abigail4476
Last updated October 1, 2011
Official Monthly Throwdown (TD) Rules

BEFORE YOU START COOKING TAPE YOUR CODE WORD TO YOUR CAMERA SO THAT YOU DO NOT FORGET!

Rules for entry

1. The featured item of the month must be smoked in a prominent manner to be eligible for entry into the TD

2. All entries must be prepared during the current TD period. The TD code word must be written on a piece of paper (or other medium) and displayed in the picture. Do not digitally add the code word, or your name, to the entry.

**The purpose of the code word is to validate that the item was smoked for the TD**

3. Entries are to be submitted to the Events Coordinator (dirtsailor2003)via private message by 11:59pm PST by the submission deadline posted in the current Throwdown thread.

An entry consists of the following:

one picture (can pile as much or as little as you want on one plate) with the featured TD theme
Visible TD codeword (see #2) in entry. Please do not move or delete the location of the photo submitted for entry to ensure everybody has a chance to view the item
Brief description of the item. Once the TD has ended the contestants are encouraged to create threads revealing their entries to the general public.

4. Do not post entries in the general forum, or reveal your entry, until after the contest winners have been determined or else your entry will be disqualified.

5. Only one entry per participant is permitted

Judging

There will be two opportunities for entries to obtain votes:

Event committee judging
SMF Voters Poll

Events committee judging is made up of three trusted members of SMF and their votes are based off three criteria:

ORIGINALITY = thinking outside of the box
APPEARANCE = overall presentation and appeal of the dish
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY = technical difficulty involved in creation of dish

**The Events Coordinator is not eligible to vote in either the Judges' Poll or the SMF Voters Poll due to knowing the name of the contestants**

a. Each criteria has a potential of receiving a total of 10 points, resulting in 30 potential points per entry. The judges view these entries as the general public does, without knowing the name of the contestant to ensure unbiased decisions.

b. In the event of a tie amongst the Judges, a member of the Admin team will be asked to break the tie.

The SMF Voters Poll will be open for 7 days from the end of the TD entry period

a. If the number of entries exceed the number of available positions a poll can hold, a 2nd poll will be created to ensure each entry can be selected in a poll.

b. Each poll is eligible for one entry.

c. When the general poll ends, the winner from each poll will face off in a 3-day general public poll challenge to determine the overall winner. If there is a tie at the end of the 3-day challenge, the winner will be determined by the overall votes cast by the judges in their voting.

d. One contestant cannot be eligible to win both categories. In the event a contestant is proclaimed the winner of both categories the runner up in the SMF Voters Poll will be awarded with the win of the general public poll.

PM any member of the Events Committee with questions and/or concerns.

** END WIP **

Alright the old hands at this okay this and I'll start an official thread after we determine dates etc etc. Not sure if there will be prizes, but I'd like to think it's still fun to do!

I'll throw out a question to the SMF community.

How many folks would be willing to participate if the throwdown was reinstated?

I would

Chris

I got a couple friends on here that are crossovers from the Tacoma forum I'm sure I can convince...
bvbull200 bvbull200 ... You in? Who else is over here too?

I'd be in to enter or judge or help wherever.

I have a little side gig in the BBQ rub industry. It isn't a big operation, but I love being involved in the BBQ community. I don't know what the prize packages usually are for these things, but I might be able to put a little something together with some rub?

I got my BBQ start from this site and have inexplicably been dormant for a while. Good opportunity to rekindle my love for this site.

Let me know how I can be involved!

I'd be in to enter or judge or help wherever.

I have a little side gig in the BBQ rub industry. It isn't a big operation, but I love being involved in the BBQ community. I don't know what the prize packages usually are for these things, but I might be able to put a little something together with some rub?

I got my BBQ start from this site and have inexplicably been dormant for a while. Good opportunity to rekindle my love for this site.

Let me know how I can be involved!
Well tommorrow if I haven't heard from staff, I'll bug them a bit more. I'm not sure what they gotta discuss. I think they actually talk to Jeff about it. As I understand previously he was actually kicking in prizes as well. If nothing, we'll just do it with no worry for prizes to just have fun!

I really appreciate you chiming in and offering to help out bvbull!

Reactions: bvbull200
Well tommorrow if I haven't heard from staff, I'll bug them a bit more. I'm not sure what they gotta discuss. I think they actually talk to Jeff about it. As I understand previously he was actually kicking in prizes as well. If nothing, we'll just do it with no worry for prizes to just have fun!

I really appreciate you chiming in and offering to help out bvbull!

No problem! Now that you know I'm in, just keep me posted!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Just a quick Update;

Brian and I spoke, and he'll be officially putting some thing up so I can see how it all works. I do not believe he'll be changing any thing so get those apple inspired recipes at the ready for when it goes up.

Thanks again for every one who showed interest! I am hoping I get how this works behind the scenes and can then run them solo as it were! <With staff permission>. I'd like to see this become a thing again! Alot of us might not get a chance to meet in person but we can still have a friendly competition then!

Just a quick Update;

Brian and I spoke, and he'll be officially putting some thing up so I can see how it all works. I do not believe he'll be changing any thing so get those apple inspired recipes at the ready for when it goes up.

Thanks again for every one who showed interest! I am hoping I get how this works behind the scenes and can then run them solo as it were! <With staff permission>. I'd like to see this become a thing again! Alot of us might not get a chance to meet in person but we can still have a friendly competition then!

bvbull200 bvbull200 is a good dude that I actually had the pleasure to meet. I'm really hoping these TD's happen. I'm in to help however I can as well. I know I'm new to being a actual member here, but I'm a pro sh*t-poster on my other forum...
rofl.gif
ask Bryan... I kid, I just get addicted to online forums apparently.
anonymous.gif

But I will help do whatever is needed if it is needed.
cheers.gif

bvbull200 bvbull200 is a good dude that I actually had the pleasure to meet. I'm really hoping these TD's happen. I'm in to help however I can as well. I know I'm new to being a actual member here, but I'm a pro sh*t-poster on my other forum...
rofl.gif
ask Bryan... I kid, I just get addicted to online forums apparently.
anonymous.gif

But I will help do whatever is needed if it is needed.
cheers.gif
No Fears. I'm expecting Brian <Bmudd> will likely get things going soon. I'm not sure if I can enter or not, but I already went and like a mad man got a few recipes of my own together. Evil hand rubbing late at night and all ;)

Update:
Sounds like October 1st will be the day it drops. So hang tight till then gang :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky