Ref; Mead

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So a friend of mine on a Discord server asked if I still remembered how to do Zymurgy, specifically if my foggy memories of day gone past could help him do mead. I have to admit I remember basics, but not much else and I never did Mead as he wants to do.

He's looking for a no boil method that is for 1 gallon. Has any one here done this? He's basically working with 50 bucks for equipment and just wants to try, I cautioned him that mead isn't all that cheap, but he's determined..and now that he brought up doing a small batch..well I got my old Zymurgy equipment some where, or should...

If I had a 5 gallon fermenting bucket, could I actually do a 1-2 gallon batch of mead in it?

There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to do a one or two gallon batch in a five gallon ferment container. To me, though, making small batches is "trickier" than making a large batch. I'm not sure why that is, but it just seems to need more attention, monitoring, etc.

For your friend, it he/she has to buy everything new, getting all the equipment and supplies for $50 would be a challenge I think.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: fivetricks
You can scrap together a lot of the equipment instead of buying it. Can definitely do it on the cheap for under $50, but the results may reflect it. It's pretty easy to make. Would definitely recommend your friend hit up a brew shop at least for some Camden tablets and the yeast.

There fermenter(s) can be any food grade plastic of any size. For that amount you can use a pitcher or even one of the big glass mason jars.

There's absolutely no problem making small batches of mead. I've made a LOT of 1 gal batches--testers to see if I liked a new one enough to make a full 5 gal batch. Most of what I made were fruit meads.
If your friend knows what kind of mead he wants to make, send me a PM and I'll check my logs.
Gary

Thanks for the responses; I did warn my friend they'd likely be needing more then a few twenties for equipment...but we'll see how it goes...

There's absolutely no problem making small batches of mead. I've made a LOT of 1 gal batches--testers to see if I liked a new one enough to make a full 5 gal batch. Most of what I made were fruit meads.
If your friend knows what kind of mead he wants to make, send me a PM and I'll check my logs.
Gary
You know I might be hitting you up on that if I can get this WI group rolling. I might do a Cyser here and all. Keep ya in Mind Gary :)

Did a few 1G of mead AKA rocket fuel thanks to champagne yeast. Totally doable for $50. Kinda funny, I remember those days scrounging... With a little patience and digging you can pretty much find it all for next to nothing but I couldn't wait and paid top dollar for new stuff. Here's a fairly nice kit:
We have a few local apiaries now. Might have to look into mead again now that AG is a thing of the past.

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert . What's you fave yeast for mead? IIRC that was the key.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/tutorials/how-to-make-mead/how-to-make-mead/

Heck I remember when i bought my Homebrew stuff and it was super expensive. <It was also over a decade ago I bought stuff>

Reactions: zwiller
LOL. 2 decades for me. OMG, back then: no interwebs, weak ingredients, and only Charlie Papzazian... Amazing I stuck with it.

LOL. 2 decades for me. OMG, back then: no interwebs, weak ingredients, and only Charlie Papzazian... Amazing I stuck with it.

Hey, I swear my homebrewing guide is by him. If I can find it again!

Ha!! Mine too. I started brewing beer and wine in the 80's
Gary

Is this the same "Mead" that the guy gets put into "Locks" for ordering it, in the Beer Commercial???

Bear

Is this the same "Mead" that the guy gets put into "Locks" for ordering it, in the Beer Commercial???

Bear
I am unaware of this Commercial!

But true mead is honey, water, yeast. It can take easily over a year to be considered 'good'. It's what the vikings drank.

Fun Fact I read in one of my books about this back in the day;

The term honey moon stems from a viking tradition where upon a newly wed couple would spend one lunar cycle, or honey moon being only allowed to consume mead for beverage. This increased the likelyhood that a child conceived during this time would be male born. Scientifically no one knows why, but studies have shown this is infact verifiable. Always thought it was interesting.

That IS funny and I am quite the beer snob but not a jerk like the mead guy. This thread reminds me I need to try and make a cider. Never have and I have access to several good sources. I like "snakebite" this time of year. Half cider half beer.

That IS funny and I am quite the beer snob but not a jerk like the mead guy. This thread reminds me I need to try and make a cider. Never have and I have access to several good sources. I like "snakebite" this time of year. Half cider half beer.
Snakebites are good :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky