Ref; Has any one done a charity?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I am curious if any one has ever arranged a charity?

I have a friend fighting cancer and I'd love to set up a charity BBQ to help her by donating all the proceeds from it. Any one ever done some thing like this? How does it work?

Reactions: JC in GB
I smoked about 100 lbs of pork butt for something similar. I donated my time and my cooking. I have a wsm 22. So what i did was to do multiple runs in advance, vacuum seal, freeze. I wasn't able to make it the day of the event. So they setup Turkey fryers with water and drop in bags to reheat and fill pans. Made things easier on the day of the event. It was for a fellow firefighter. They had an auction of different items. Bounce house for kids. It raised some money to help. The advertisement ahead of time made a big difference.

If you need me to smoke some food for your event, let me know. I may even be able to donate the meat I cook.

You may want to reach out to groups like the American Legion or VFW. They will have a certified kitchen and will have parking for your event.

I may be able to get you a name or two.

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks guys!

I was going to call/txt a few resturaunt/bar owners I know who in the past have hosted charity events as well. <One actually was the regional manager for TGIF around our area JC believe it or not> and have kitchens on site.

I am also going to ask my parents to see if their church would put up some thing about people buy smoked pork butts. I read about people doing that here. People buy a lump sum and just get a whole pork butt and they pull it at home. After costs, all the money went to the charity.

So I might ask for your smoker's help if I go this route JC...or not sleep for a week with my MES.

I'm putting out feelers to smart locals to see if any want to buy whole pork butts.

You know smart as in 'won't go and get me in trouble with food inspectors'.. lol

Reactions: smokinbill1638
We did one through our church. Worked out great. When are you doing it? (Just got back from trip so may be too late to help but if not, call me and I'll pitch in - Dave.

Last edited:
Dave, It's probably not a good idea to post your phone number on an open site like this. Depending on who sees it you may be in for some unwanted calls. PM'ing Tom with your contact information is safer.

Chris

Last edited:
Sorry. I removed it. Can you delete your quote - it contains the number as well.

Done and no need to be sorry. It's not against the rules or anything. I get enough robo-calls without my number being out there. You never know who is scanning the site.

Chris

Reactions: Carvendive
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky