Redirecting vents

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
Has anyone installed redirecting vents like the one in this this picture and if so how well has it worked ..also the one in the picture is of a sqaure desighn ..is there a need for it on a propane tank build ..I've noticed on my 250 propane build that I have to get the top left rack up to 350 to get the bottom left at 250 ..although I havnt loaded it up yet with a big cook but I've notice that temp on smaller cooks so far ...

Attachments

• 20190421_074715.jpg
    20190421_074715.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 41
Sometimes you have to live with things like that. You could try something temporary and see if it works. Cut up a aluminum pan, use foil to redirect. See if that works.

RG

I was just scrolling threw past post and just seen that ..just wondering if it works ok ..as of right now that top left rack will be for chicken

I went with a 12 in cc opening.. my end of reverse flow plate opening I had to go with 11 inches ..if I went 12 my plate wouldn't of covered my racks

Segment area on your 250 gallon tank was probably about 160 sq. in.
with a 30" diameter on the tank, when you reduced the area at the end of the RF plate by 1", that's 30 sq. in. reduction...
160 vs 130... that's a 20% reduction in area for good air flow...

Ok ..I didnt think it would be that big of a difference ..guess I was wrong ..I probably could cut it back still

This is what I went off of

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181206-131735_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181206-131735_Samsung Internet.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 32
So, it was supposed to be 12" and you made it 10"... is that correct ??
2" x 29" = 58 sq. in
263-58=205
205/263= 78% of design is what your ended up with...
I don't know if that's your temp problem...
I do know a lack of meat on one shelf or the other will definitely change the air flow through the smoker..
Try some bricks on edge, to block the air flow, on the upper rack, opposite the FB.. See if that makes a difference...
Also, try running the smoker with the upper air inlet more open... maybe start wide open to see if increased air flow does anything for the situation..
With the upper air inlets wide open, the temperature is reduced in the FB... If you can get it to about 250-300, you will burn less wood and have more even temps across the cooking surface...
Do the temp adjustments with the lower air inlet... leaving the upper wide open, for your test...

I made my half moon opening under reverse flow plate at 12 inches high ..the end of reverse flow plate opening I had to go 11 inches or my reverse flow plate wouldn't cover the cooking grates all the way ..if 1 inch restricts it that much I could go back and trim it and just not put food on the very end of grates.. I've only cooked on it 3 times ..the 1st 2 were just seasoning and my temps were all in the ball park ..the 3rd cook i had a Turkey and ribs on and my temps were all over the place ..but it also was a dam near blizzard out too ..I've been really wanting to fire it up again but I had ankle surgery and I'm out of commission for awhile ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky